tolerating uncertainty

This is the key point in recovery from OCD, sitting with the horrible uncertainty feeling that exists. Does anyone have any tips for sitting with uncertainty and how to make life easier when you are anxious - breathing, meditation?? any ideas?

I have a general unease feeling, and i don't like it and want rid of it, i want to be relaxed but sometimes it feels as if my brain is on fire.

For me I would keep busy, I don't mean in an avoidance way but for example I would do an exposure and the doubts (am I clean? am I dirty? What if?) would come at me, so at that point I would do something. Go to work and take a difficult technical call to keep me busy, go our to the shops, call a friend (to chat about anything other than OCD), go for a bike ride.  Doesn't work for everyone, but that worked for me.

I guess this is where meditation, mindfulness can be helpful in sitting with the uncertainty.

That said, it's important to ensure you get the (C)BT aspect right... are you sitting with uncertainty correctly, not performing some subconscious neutralisation compulsion.

Ashley

Great advice. 

And remember, OCD demands certainty - which is not possible - but the standard CBT counter is accepting probability instead. 

And remembering that non-OCD sufferers will see no threat fear or revulsion in what is upsetting you. Their position is the place we are all aiming for. 

Edited by taurean

thanks folks.

yeh i guess the problem is trying not to want to fix things and make myself feel better, rather allowing things to improve anxiety wise of their own accord. after all anxiety and uncomfortable feelings arent going to kill me.

That's a really good point Unsurechap. I have a lengthy history of addiction. It was only when the penny dropped that, just because I'm craving [insert practically anything here!), doesn't mean I have to succumb, that I finally launched what has thus far been a successful recovery. The same is true of obsessions and compulsions. They are just (albeit at times distressing) thoughts. No ill effects will befall us if we decide not to act upon them.

Edited by OceanDweller

Hi! Thanks for your post! I have no advice to give you but only to say that I totally know what you mean. It is the uncertainty that I find crippling. I would love to know where or why that is the case for OCD sufferers! Good luck with the battle!