Hello all

My doctor has changed my medication from duloxatine to fluoxatine.

This has got me worrying how I will react. I'd like to know if any one has any feedback on this medicine. I know we all react different. Also my doctor told me this is a more common drug to treat anxiety disorders.

Thanks.

I have been on 60mg of Fluoxetine for a number of months. It quietens my mind and regulates my mood.

Fluoxetine is Prozac, the original SSRI. It's generally well tolerated (as I understand from what I've read). As with all SSRIs, the first week or two might be a tad rocky. But if you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain (thank you Dolly Parton!).

I have been on Fluoxetine since last July, i started on 20 mg and it was upped to 40 mg about 6 weeks ago. I find it has helped me to balance out a bit, my wife says i seem to be in a lighter mood overall and much less snappy with her. I have also felt a bit more content from time to time which has been good.

It took me about 2 weeks to get free of the symptoms, which were mainly fatigue (at least for the first week), a low level headache and a dry mouth. I still have OCD along with anxiety and i have just started a fresh course of CBT which i know is the main weapon for fighting OCD but the medication has helped me cope with life a bit better.

Edited by Avo
6 hours ago, stopthinking said:

Hello all

My doctor has changed my medication from duloxatine to fluoxatine.

This has got me worrying how I will react. I'd like to know if any one has any feedback on this medicine. I know we all react different. Also my doctor told me this is a more common drug to treat anxiety disorders.

Thanks.

Just as a side note, I came off Duloxetine a few years ago. My doctor suggested I take an SSRI to help with the discontinuation symptoms. I elected not to. This was a mistake. I suffered badly in the immediate aftermath of Duloxetine. I don't know how much you were taking or what stage you're at now, and everyone's experiences are unique, but the Fluoxetine should steady the ship considerably.

You simply cannot accept the experiences of others as evidence as to how you are going to handle a medication. Each individual reacts differently to each medication. It is a **** shoot, taking meds. Asking others how they fared on a particular medication is all for naught. Your experience will be unique.