Hello All,

I'm sure this has been posted about before.

But does coffee affect your anxiety? Does withdrawal from coffee affect it? 

I normally have at least one coffee a day and am trying to give up to save money, i know withdrawal from other substances cause side effects, i wonder if any of you have experience the same with coffee?

i normally have at least one cup a day too, with a couple of cups of tea in between. I can't say that I notice a rise in my anxiety but I do notice a difference if I don't have any of these drinks. I'll be more irritable than usual and maybe even get a headache if I've not had something by late afternoon x

Hey, I went decaf last year and didn't notice any side effects, however my anxiety was high at the time anyways so not sure if that masked any. What I did notice was that I must've been addicted to it without realising because I went from 5 cups a day to maybe 2 at most after a while of being on the decaf! It definitely tastes the same so the cravings must've been coming form the caffeine more than anything else! Don't think I'll ever go back to regular coffee now! Xx

These days I cannot tolerate caffeine at all (much to my eternal frustration!). Caffeine is a powerful stimulant. If you're prone to anxiety it might be worth swerving it for a wee while. I'd be slightly concerned if you experienced noticeable withdrawal in its absence as that would indicate a degree of physical dependence. However, if you can enjoy a cup or two without any adverse effects and can afford it (I used to buy beans from a local shop - much cheaper) then I wouldn't fret. Coffee is a rather delicious simple pleasure.

I cup of coffee is unlikely to create an issue, but yes it is a stimulate so best if anxious to have a herbal tea anyway. 

Cola drinks also contain caffeine, but you probably know that - I like a coffee in the morning plus an occasional diet coke. 

We use decaf coffee at home. 

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Hey, I went decaf last year and didn't notice any side effects, however my anxiety was high at the time anyways so not sure if that masked any. What I did notice was that I must've been addicted to it without realising because I went from 5 cups a day to maybe 2 at most after a while of being on the decaf! It definitely tastes the same so the cravings must've been coming form the caffeine more than anything else! Don't think I'll ever go back to regular coffee now! Xx

That sounds like a great plan!

I felt like i couldnt concentrate this morning,but that might have just been down to an anxious morning

The weird thing is i feel like i dont even know how much i like coffee,maybe its like most habits you just miss them at certain times. For me on my way to work.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I love coffee it makes me feel powered up.

They say it can increase anxiety sure it can.

The only thing i really can answer is your question about withdrawing. Ok, when you stop with caffeine do you get withdrawlssymptoms like with any other drug, and they symtpoms are real. Beside feeling tired, itchy and irritated do you feel much less motivated and dread and depression are real things.

So i personally dont know if stoping coffee when you are having ocd is such a good idea, if it makes you jittery and anxious would the best thing to stop it when you feel up. Not when you are down.

You wouldnt stop any other drug when you already are sick. Coffee is a drug

Guest OCDhavenobrain

it is very shortterm* to say that you should stop coffee if you have anxiety, it is almost like with OCD, sure it will be better if youbstop but longterm! 

Anxiety wont kill you but suicide will, so if you are really damn down would it be stupid to take withdrawls too. Sure it would be best if you could stop but there is the risk of suicide or selfharm. 

Read a study OCD is actually linked with a much increased risk for suicide. I feel like science overall are more and more comming to terms withvhow bad OCD rally can be.

http://ki.se/en/news/patients-with-ocd-are-10-times-more-likely-to-commit-suicide

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Woah.

By withdrawals i simply meant unable to focus and feeling tired. Maybe my phrasing is off.

I understand where you are coming from but my ocd is not severe. It has been over two weeks since an intrusion and i am focusing awy from one this morning.

Agyer working hard for over a year i am in a very happy place. But health anxiety is something which pos ip frequently for me,sometimes obsessively. I thi nk i am doing well though.

I agree ocd is a serious condition though

Guest OCDhavenobrain

the withdrawls will depend on how big dose of caffeine you took and other things.

I think you have hypocondria too, it is common when you have OCD.

Just stop using caffeine if you dont feel that bad stopping it. There is an idea that the OCD gets milder without caffeine. Youhaveocd suggest you too stop caffeine totally when you have OCD.

There is also the risk of overcomplicate things.*

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
8 hours ago, biscuitcat said:

That sounds like a great plan!

I felt like i couldnt concentrate this morning,but that might have just been down to an anxious morning

The weird thing is i feel like i dont even know how much i like coffee,maybe its like most habits you just miss them at certain times. For me on my way to work.

Oh yeah I deffo think habit plays a huge part in tea and coffee, I used to pour myself one every time I rang a friend for a chat lol. I don't think the withdrawals from having coffee would be that huge if u don't drink a lot of it anyways! Maybe u should try a decaf at first to see if the placebo effect might work as far as withdrawals? Then maybe after a week stop it all together to save some money! Good luck xxx

Sorry I ask this, but how much does coffe cost in your country?

In my country it costs 4 euros a pack which lasts me three months, if I brew it with one and a half teaspoons a day. So really, if I gave up coffe I would save 20 bucks a year, if I add up the milk.

It isn't high quality coffee, but if money is your concern, I am sure you can find cheaper options.

Whitdrawal from coffe makes you feel tired because there are some receptors in the brain which take melatonin, the sleep hormone, and coffe imitate it, hence the effect of not feeling tired. This in time makes the brain create more neuroceptors for melatonin, so when you stop drinking it, you will feel more tired for a few days.

Okay, I won't even ask you anymore why do you want to give up something that tastes like the nectars of gods, albeit you are more tired once the effect wears off (2-6 hours) if you were if you didn't drink coffe at all.

I definetly feel better without it though :( I gave it up for half a year, but since my condition seemed to not be much influenced by it, I decided that a little coffe never hurt nobody. Unless you are hypertensive.

Edited by chaosed

Thanks for your reply.

I dont buy coffee to drink at home,  I always buy a take away cup on my way to work. I prefer the creamy texture of a flat white - so each cup costs in excess of 2 pounds. 

If i can break the habit of buying a take away cup of coffee i can stop drinking it and save a hell of a lot of money.

It shouldnt be too hard to do oncw i get over the initial tiredness

Perhaps you could gradually reduce it so you have an occasional one as a treat, but otherwise make one when you get to work? 

When - in the earlier part of my career and married life - money was tight, I worked on a monthly budget, with an allowance in there for the occasional treat - and it helped being married to a wife who worked in cost and management accounts, and who taught me to allow for variances and work towards creating small reserves :)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't drink coffee because it gives me heart palpitations. I can't concentrate at work because the high caffeine content overstimulates me and I get nervous and agitated. Decaffeinated coffee doesn't taste that good to me either.

I usually have tea instead, East Asian style, just tea leaves and hot water with a delicious sweet lotus paste bun. 

Jasmine Green Tea is my all time favourite with its mild natural sweetness. It is very cheap too, not surprising, since China and India is not too far away from me. I don't get any adverse withdrawal symptoms (shaky hands or extreme lethargy) when I don't drink tea for a couple of days( when I am too lazy to get it from the supermarket) but I do feel something is missing.

It could be due to a nature of habit or the caffeine, oh well, it's a small price to pay for a mind clearing, refreshing beverage.