Am I being impatient with Meds

HI I was put on Paroxetine /paxil six weeks ago  and increased to 20mg after 4 weeks but now I have no more side effects I don't really feel any different?  Am I being impatient?  I really was hoping this one would help ?

Hi Halle,

I think it depends what change you were expecting to feel. Some people have high hopes that a pill will magically take away their symptoms and alleviate their misery, when in truth all medication was ever intended to do is give you a bit of calm and breathing space to sort your head out for yourself. 

If you're taking it to reduce anxiety, it's probably fully kicked in by now and you're getting whatever benefit you're going to get. If it's for depression, or if there's depression on top of anxiety, your symptoms may continue to improve for up to 3 months. It's worth sticking with the same brand for that long before judging it as not working or changing to an alternative.

Anyway, the real improvement comes when you get stuck into the CBT. That's the part that really changes how you feel. Have you started CBT yet? 

2 hours ago, snowbear said:

Hi Halle,

I think it depends what change you were expecting to feel. Some people have high hopes that a pill will magically take away their symptoms and alleviate their misery, when in truth all medication was ever intended to do is give you a bit of calm and breathing space to sort your head out for yourself. 

If you're taking it to reduce anxiety, it's probably fully kicked in by now and you're getting whatever benefit you're going to get. If it's for depression, or if there's depression on top of anxiety, your symptoms may continue to improve for up to 3 months. It's worth sticking with the same brand for that long before judging it as not working or changing to an alternative.

Anyway, the real improvement comes when you get stuck into the CBT. That's the part that really changes how you feel. Have you started CBT yet? 

It's just the OCD. The Doctor advised this is a good med .I will give it more time. I'm on the waiting list for the CBT so fingers crossed that will be soon. I think I had high hopes. Thanks for the advice ?

2 hours ago, highlight said:

I keep getting told that some antidepressants work better for some people than others. You could ask your doctor about changing meds. 

Thanks ill give it some more time and maybe try another ?