OCD with my new nintendo switch

my nintendo switch has a tiny defect at the bottom of kickstand and now i cant stop thinking about it (actually the defect is barely visible),i want to returning it to the store but it would make people think if im weird. i need advice right now,please help me        and sorry for my bad english

Edited by Stopplease
6 hours ago, Stopplease said:

my nintendo switch has a tiny defect at the bottom of kickstand and now i cant stop thinking about it (actually the defect is barely visible),i want to returning it to the store but it would make people think if im weird. i need advice right now,please help me        and sorry for my bad english

Hello 

i thought your English was quite good ? 

why would taking it back to change it for another one would make people think your weird.. people take things back for all sorts.. your stuck in the middle of both problems here.. the best thing is to think what is the best thing for your ocd ..don't worry about what other people think.. your more important and so is getting your ocd in check and doing the right thing is this situation .. so you have two options first one take it back get a new one and forgot what people think of you or keep it and not give in to your ocd ..what do you think is best 

snow 

Edited by Snowdog

Snowdog, I know you're trying to help - but I don't think your post is altogether helpful. The OP's problem isn't about being thought weird. it's OCD. By referring to people thinking he's weird, he's really saying that he realizes that returning it would be unreasonable, overwrought. Stopplease, you have two choices, give in to the OCD or not. Remember, if you return the Nintendo, the replacement may also have a 'flaw' - and you're just making the OCD deeper. It may feel better in the short term, but will hurt you more in the long term. 

Hi Stopplease, I understand how you feel. I had recently bought a tempered glass screen protector for my smartphone and I accidentally scratched the screen protector when I left my phone over an area that had some sand. I was not happy because I want my smartphone screen to be flawless with no scratches at all, which was why I switched from a plastic film screen protector to a tempered glass screen protector. 

The thing about tempered glass screens is that they are scratch resistant, not scratch proof. The scratch was so faint that you can't see it when the screen is switched on and I had to put the phone screen next to my eye 4 inches away to just to notice it when the screen is switched off. So I told myself, hey I can live with that, there is no need to buy a new tempered glass screen protector to replace this one. Better to have the scratch on the screen protector than on the screen of the smartphone itself. Because even if I was to get a new one, it doesn't guarantee that it will not get scratched if I am not careful. I am not going to let this become my new compulsion. I am saying ''No'' to any new form of OCD.

The question now is that whether the defect on the bottom of the kickstand affects the ability of your nintendo switch to function normally. If it does, then it is ok to bring the machine back because you paid good money for it and you should expect a product which should function normally, you should not be bothered about how the staff will think about you since what you are doing is perfectly OK. However, if the defect is cosmetic in nature, and doesn't affect the ability of your nintendo switch to function normally, then, I would say, don't worry about it and enjoy your gaming. Jangan tension, Jangan worry, Be Happy. Cheers!!!

Edited by St Mike
minor grammar mistake
18 hours ago, paradoxer said:

Snowdog, I know you're trying to help - but I don't think your post is altogether helpful. The OP's problem isn't about being thought weird. it's OCD. By referring to people thinking he's weird, he's really saying that he realizes that returning it would be unreasonable, overwrought. Stopplease, you have two choices, give in to the OCD or not. Remember, if you return the Nintendo, the replacement may also have a 'flaw' - and you're just making the OCD deeper. It may feel better in the short term, but will hurt you more in the long term. 

Well we have to degree there becuase I thought I was very helpful to be honest I didn't say he was weird at all not in the slightest... and I knew it wasnt the problem either...I just asked why he thought people would think that..I was only asking a question ... that's was all..and to say not to worry what people think becuase you shouldn't in life.. you totally read my post in the wrong way.. and I know what the problem was here but was trying to not reassure them about the ocd and what they had to do because they should know what the right thing is to do ..by saying he has two choices and asking what they think They should do.. and u basically gave him the same choice has what I did but I said it in different way basically.. and you told him what would happen if he took it back .. I was trying to say it in way that so it didn't feed his/her ocd more.. so I'm not very happy with you saying I wasn't helpfull becuase I knew what was the problem and what the ocd was about because it's in the title of his/her post.. and I was doing my best with out feeding his/her ocd becuase that is  the best helpfull thing to do 

Edited by Snowdog

It's when I read threads like this I don't feel alone. Recently I won so cash at bingo yippee . Decided to upgrade my kindle to latest model. Went to shop asked for a white one. " sorry sir only have black at the moment "

so I took the black one ( too impatient to wait 2 days for white). Loved it reading on it felt great then ....,.,, my head said " yeah but it would be better in white". Booom I was off in " if only " world. I stopped using it couldn't look at it and my bottom was reached 2 days later when I thought " I'm going to drop it so will have to buy a white one "

I sat with the anixity and then just like that it was gone. It's now been replaced with a feeling of gratitude every time I use it from the bingo win to the kindle. 

Believe me people 5 /6 years ago I would have dropped it

10 hours ago, Snowdog said:

Well we have to degree there becuase I thought I was very helpful to be honest I didn't say he was weird at all not in the slightest... and I knew it wasnt the problem either...I just asked why he thought people would think that..I was only asking a question ... that's was all..and to say not to worry what people think becuase you shouldn't in life.. you totally read my post in the wrong way.. and I know what the problem was here but was trying to not reassure them about the ocd and what they had to do because they should know what the right thing is to do ..by saying he has two choices and asking what they think They should do.. and u basically gave him the same choice has what I did but I said it in different way basically.. and you told him what would happen if he took it back .. I was trying to say it in way that so it didn't feed his/her ocd more.. so I'm not very happy with you saying I wasn't helpfull becuase I knew what was the problem and what the ocd was about because it's in the title of his/her post.. and I was doing my best with out feeding his/her ocd becuase that is  the best helpfull thing to do 

But in the case of OCD - or perhaps I should say, this case, what people think does (tangentially) matter. It's a reflection of how the OP's 'non OCD' self sees the situation. Basically, returning the product for a probable near non-existant flaw is weird, and unreasonable. If you were offering advice about, say, low self-esteem, then fine, 'don't worry about what others think' would be sound counsel. Context makes a huge difference,. 

6 hours ago, paradoxer said:

But in the case of OCD - or perhaps I should say, this case, what people think does (tangentially) matter. It's a reflection of how the OP's 'non OCD' self sees the situation. Basically, returning the product for a probable near non-existant flaw is weird, and unreasonable. If you were offering advice about, say, low self-esteem, then fine, 'don't worry about what others think' would be sound counsel. Context makes a huge difference,. 

Next time I won't reply to post if I'm going to get this from you on someone else's post..  We all have different opinions on things and say things in different way it's doesn't give you the right to come along and pick on that.. sorry I'm not has perfect at wording that what you are in posts.. I come on here becuase I'm not well and to help some others and I get this from you do you think that right ?  I took the time to reply to this post and you come along and knock me down especially with the ocd I got ..hope you feel better for it.. 

Edited by Snowdog
41 minutes ago, Jessie_Loz said:

I honestly think you paradoxer owe snowdog an apology. I read her post and you know sometimes people with OCD find it difficult to reply but they do it to help others. You should have either worded your post differently and have said 'Some good advice snowdog altho i would change this bit here...' or not replied to her post and focused on stopplease's main post. Snowdog has helped me in many circumstances when i have struggled and i dont want to be harsh because we have never really chatted paradoxer and im sure ur a nice person but ur post does sound harsh towards her.

Please keep replying heidi ur advice to me has been brilliant. Hope ur ok hunni

Xxx

Thank you jess for this it means a lot.. the way you have said this post is exactly what I should of said really .. I honestly don't mind people pointing stuff out but I felt it was done in a harsh way not in a nice way like you have just suggested becuase it set me back this morning.. but I've been ok this late afternoon and evening.. thanks for asking Hun.. hope your ok and hope your dad is now to.. sorry haven't spoken to you lately I've been of line a few weeks becuase I've been unwell.

thanks again for your kind words hopefully catch up soon in the chat room xxx

On 4/17/2017 at 13:25, paradoxer said:

Snowdog, I know you're trying to help - but I don't think your post is altogether helpful.

I'm quoting myself above. There was a concession that Snowdog was trying to help. But I didn't comment on her post merely to be difficult. Actually telling the OP to essentially ignore their better instinct about their behavaiour being weird, and to not care (in this instance) what other people think is feeding into the OP's OCD. It's not just neutral - but actually counter-therapeutic. 

On 20/04/2017 at 22:29, Rourke said:

And my white/black kindle episode 

I really wanted a white iPad as I thought they looked the best for a long time. Then just recently my friend said the black frame Is less distracting after he read an article on it. I saw where he was coming from when I thought back to my days studying photography so for my first iPad I went with the black frame and haven't looked back.

On scratches on screens maybe tell yourself you can get a new one next year or the year after creating a delay long enough for your anxiety to diminish.

Sorry just my 2 cents worth...

• 1 month later...

Good news i have been returning it to the store and my nintendo switch console now has no defect but the Bad news is my nintendo switch joy con get scratched because of my friend,and now i cant stop thinking about it 

sorry for my bad english

Edited by Stopplease