I've been contemplating on putting this on for some time now but was a little unsure ? if it was a good idea ? 

We are all fellow sufferers and as we all are aware it's really difficult at times. 

Doing cbt is hard work and can be really difficult at times, but we know we have to do the hard work to reap the benefits.

Ive found what helps me is the praise I receive from others when I'm doing well and how they cheer me on :cheer: also important is remembering to praise myself .

Even though we all have different themes of OCD the treatment is the same.

I was thinking because we all understand and appreciate the struggle we all face fighting our OCD and doing our cbt homework we could maybe start a positive post in which we could decide a compulsion we are going to avoid and reporting on here how we have got on and praising and cheering each other on. Not only can we cheer each other on we can also offer advice on the best ways we tackled the same problem if another sufferer is struggling to avoid doing the same compulsion, because I'm sure lots of us suffer the same or similar themes which would be helpful to each of us in times of struggle .

I think that this would help encourage us and lift our spirits and also bring some good positivity to the forum:)

I would be grateful for your  replays to see what you all think 

Many thanks 

lost 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, lostinme said:

I've been contemplating on putting this on for some time now but was a little unsure ? if it was a good idea ? 

We are all fellow sufferers and as we all are aware it's really difficult at times. 

Doing cbt is hard work and can be really difficult at times, but we know we have to do the hard work to reap the benefits.

Ive found what helps me is the praise I receive from others when I'm doing well and how they cheer me on :cheer: also important is remembering to praise myself .

Even though we all have different themes of OCD the treatment is the same.

I was thinking because we all understand and appreciate the struggle we all face fighting our OCD and doing our cbt homework we could maybe start a positive post in which we could decide a compulsion we are going to avoid and reporting on here how we have got on and praising and cheering each other on. Not only can we cheer each other on we can also offer advice on the best ways we tackled the same problem if another sufferer is struggling to avoid doing the same compulsion, because I'm sure lots of us suffer the same or similar themes which would be helpful to each of us in times of struggle .

I think that this would help encourage us and lift our spirits and also bring some good positivity to the forum:)

I would be grateful for your  replays to see what you all think 

Many thanks 

lost 

Well done for your post lost.. 

good posting hun.. 

sounds like a good idea xx 

Great idea Lost! I think we need to also encourage each other for any positive steps health wise. 

For instance I am going to book a Doctors appointment today to get some more beta blockers. I lost my last pack and I think losing it has contributed to my growing anxiety. I've been putting off making the Doctors appointment because I didn't want to 'waste time'. I also told my mum I've not been feeling well recently, had a cry and am thankful for the support system I have here.

Thanks guys for all your replys:)

I think this could be really positive and beneficial for all of us and help spur us on through our recovery journey:yes:

Yes that's a great idea biscuitcat another positive step doing something that's important that we keep putting off or delaying :goodpost:

Welldone biscuitcat it's good ? that you've taken that positive step, it's important to keep on top of our health and wellbeing too on our journey to recovery. Hope you feel better soon :)

Ive started my first one this morning! 

Usually I use my ready filled kettles filled by someone else to make my tea ☕️ 

This morning my homework is to avoid using these kettles and filling my own and drinking them, I'm challenging myself to drink my own water from 6.30 this morning to 12.30 lunch, filling it with cleaning products out in view. 

I will update later and let you know how I get on, maybe it would be good if I include my thoughts and how I fought to overcome them, including the compulsions I avoided doing this. 

Well guys on my second cup ☕️ this morning :) finding it hard :(but I'm cheering :cheer:myself on.

lost 

Well I tend to fear getting spooked by the newspaper. But I have been facing that head on recently and not avoiding stories, just noting then refocusing away from things I don't like, but the OCD does. 

47 minutes ago, taurean said:

Well I tend to fear getting spooked by the newspaper. But I have been facing that head on recently and not avoiding stories, just noting then refocusing away from things I don't like, but the OCD does. 

That's a good one Taurean. I tend to have a break from the news, then I'll get back into it again. I find it's nice to take a break away from all the negativity in the world. But it's important for you to tackle this avoidance issue. Good Work! and remember, it's just a thought :)

That's great work Roy :yes: !

Keep up the good work onwards and upwards all the way you can do this :cheer:

Very important biscuitcat, that's what we all need to keep telling ourselves it's just a thought, that's why I used it for my title :) to remind us every time we post on here :)

Come on guys you can do this! 

We can beat this together! 

:cheer:

I've resisted doing my compulsion from 6.30 am to 6.30 pm, wow ? what an achievement I didn't think I could do it for so long but I pushed myself all the way, yes it was hard and I've been really anxious ? but I've done it. My therapist will be amazed at me :yes: 

Tonight I've deserved a well earnt break :yes:

Thank you so much guys :) for your kind words of encouragement and support it means a lot :yes:

My therapist said because I've done it today from 6.30 to 12.30 I need to do it at least 4 times a week now:blink: I carried on today after he had gone till 6.30 so I really pushed myself. Not sure ? about another hour biscuitcat the most I've done it before is only 3 hours and 3   ☕️ but I've done it today for 12 hour and 7  ☕️ but I will try :yes:

My obsession is with chemicals of any kind feeling they will make us ill ? poison us etc, my compulsion regarding these is to lock them away out of sight out of reach. 

Im at the stage where 5 cleaning products stay in my kitchen window continuously now. 

A brief note for my compulsion avoidance today and how I coped doing it. 

My compulsion today is that I have intrusive thoughts whilst filling the kettle and making the drinks that usually I would feel compelled to empty the water out feeling it's unsafe to drink and refill it again, again and again and then usually total avoidance. 

So today no matter how bad the thoughts were i emptied the kettle, filled it up, made a drink and drank it, so I avoided my compulsion each time. 

Each time I do this the intrusive thoughts come, you've just put bleach in that water, you can't drink it, you'll be ill etc. 

Each time the intrusion came I acknowledged it as oh it's just the same old same old OCD nonsense thought and carried on regardless,  at times I also thought go on bring it on do your worst it's just a thought and I'm not listening to you any more. 

I hope this brief description will be helpful to others 

lost 

Hi I'm mark,I always have horrible intrusive thoughts about my eyes,even though I can see perfectly well,they tell me there's something wrong with my vision,Should i ignor it or carry out a compulsion to rid of it for a short while

Edited by mark74

What a great post! Currently I'm struggling with intrusive dreams, they've been sticking with me all day and worrying me, so I've decided that tonight if I have another, tomorrow I will try me hardest to not ruminate on it. Easier said than done but I plan to keep busy and refocus as best I can xx

Your intrusions and obsessions lost show exactly how OCD carries out its horrible, distressing, deeply upsetting and damaging activities. 

But it also shows that, whatever the particular manifestation, however distressing that may be, it's still just that OCD at work. 

It sounds like you and your therapist are up and at it in a practical way. Those compulsions need to be phased out - they just connect with the obsession and give it power and meaning - but knowing that is one thing, putting it into practice quite another. 

36 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Each time the intrusion came I acknowledged it as oh it's just the same old same old OCD nonsense thought and carried on regardless,  at times I also thought go on bring it on do your worst it's just a thought and I'm not listening to you any more. 

This is good stuff, taking this higher than thou approach and strengthening your conviction is good - but remember, when the disorder is challenged it seeks to come back at us harder, so be ready for that, prepared for an increase in intensity if it happens, but don't be shifted - hold your horses. 

6 minutes ago, mark74 said:

Hi I'm mark,I always have horrible intrusive thoughts about my eyes,even though I can see perfectly well,they tell me there's something wrong with my vision,Should i ignor it or carry out a compulsion to rid of it for a short while

Mark, the compulsions are no solution, not a treatment. 

As lost is doing, try to hold out / extend the time from doing compulsions. 

The thoughts are given meaning by OCD but as you surmise the meaning is in all probability an OCD falsehood. 

Treat it as such, try not to engage with intrusions or try and push them away. Note them, then refocus your attention elsewhere and keep on doing so. 

Intrusions demand attention, and when they don't get it they lose power. 

Hi mark, 

Have you been diagnosed with OCD and are you currently doing cbt ? 

I will try and answer your question for you, if you are not already doing a compulsion for these intrusions I would definitely suggest you don't start doing one.  Working towards recovery from OCD we need to avoid doing our compulsions. 

You need to acknowledge the thoughts as OCD thoughts and nothing more and refocus on what it is your doing at the time.

Hope this helps you 

best wishes 

lost

8 minutes ago, taurean said:

Mark, the compulsions are no solution, not a treatment. 

As lost is doing, try to hold out / extend the time from doing compulsions. 

The thoughts are given meaning by OCD but as you surmise the meaning is in all probability an OCD falsehood. 

Treat it as such, try not to engage with intrusions or try and push them away. Note them, then refocus your attention elsewhere and keep on doing so. 

Intrusions demand attention, and when they don't get it they lose power. 

ok many thanks

7 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hi mark, 

Have you been diagnosed with OCD and are you currently doing cbt ? 

I will try and answer your question for you, if you are not already doing a compulsion for these intrusions I would definitely suggest you don't start doing one.  Working towards recovery from OCD we need to avoid doing our compulsions. 

You need to acknowledge the thoughts as OCD thoughts and nothing more and refocus on what it is your doing at the time.

Hope this helps you 

best wishes 

lost

ok thanks,I also have lots of trouble with numbers. And counting and if it lands on a bad number ,I feel it hasn't neutralised the thought.

what about anyone else do you have to count in order to rid of the anxious feeling,I remember 2 years ago I counted into the 1000s for over an hour to try to neutralise a feeling ,I know this sounds perfectic,but I was truely stressed at the time,even this morning I had a 18 count,and went to college worrying all day that it was the wrong number to land on.

Hi mark, 

Yes number counting can be a compulsion feeling compelled to count a number of times, I also have problems with counting and doing things a certain number of times and it is a compulsion that I'm also working on. 

Are you having cbt? 

21 minutes ago, mark74 said:

ok many thanks

ok thanks,I also have lots of trouble with numbers. And counting and if it lands on a bad number ,I feel it hasn't neutralised the thought.

No I'm not at the moment,I have had it in the past a few times,I need to arrange it again,because this ocd is interfering with my college life,and I'm worried I'll fail my course,I have had an anxiety disorder for many years now

5 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hi mark, 

Yes number counting can be a compulsion feeling compelled to count a number of times, I also have problems with counting and doing things a certain number of times and it is a compulsion that I'm also working on. 

Are you having cbt? 

not at the moment,I have had it in the past a few times

I had a counting compulsion as a teenager Mark. I carried out the compulsion to assuage an urge. I had to count up to a million, through multiplication or addition. It didn't take long, but it did waste time doing that several times a day;it was a classic OCD ritual. 

Once I took the, detached, view that it was pointless, I was able to phase it out. 

My sister, also a sufferer, has a number which her OCD deems bad - it happens to be the number of my favourite bus, no bad connotation with me. 

OCD manifests itself in ways like this where we feel compelled to compulse to prevent something, even if that something is not specific - just a "bad feeling". We learn in CBT that whatever the manifestation, the disorder operates in a similar way, needs addressing in a similar fashion. 

Someone who comes on with, for them a very unusual, perhaps deemed by them unique, manifestation of OCD, will find out that, for us, it's still just OCD - to be treated in the same way. 

Edited by taurean

Hi wonderer, 

Sorry for such a late reply, it's great your wanting to take a positive step and we are all cheering you on:cheer:

Remember though it takes lots of practice maybe the first few days you'll only manage not to ruminate for maybe half an hour and then maybe an hour a few days after that, it doesn't just happen over night. But it does get easier:yes: and you will feel so much better.

I use to ruminate 24/7 but it's few and far between now and believe me I feel so much better for it.

Remember the cognitive side is important. 

I began to realise that all this mental torment is meaning less torture because I would never find the answers I seeked. We have to learn to let go of the past it's happened it's gone it's done with and no matter how much we search we can't change what's gone it's done with, we need to learn to let go of it. It's the same for ruminating about the future as well as the past we can't predict what may or may not happen ect, we have to learn to live with the uncertainty and just live for the present moment.

Hope this helps you a little 

Good luck and best wishes, please let us know how you get on!