Happy Saturday folks.

The paving stones are well and truly cracking in the sunny north of England.

It occurs to me that the compulsions that I'm now left with (and that don't particularly impact negatively upon my little world) all follow a theme of control. Personal hygiene, healthy eating, excercise and so on. I'm fortunate that (these days at least) my compulsions serve only to make me extra-specially clean and slim!

Does OCD often follow a pattern of controlling behaviour? To reiterate, I'm not concerned as my life seems better for my various regimes. Just curious is all.

Thank you my sun-soaked friends.

7 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

Does OCD often follow a pattern of controlling behaviour? To reiterate, I'm not concerned as my life seems better for my various regimes. Just curious is all.

Yes it seeks to set restrictive rules. 

These can more and more limit our enjoyment of daily life. 

For me rituals may be OK if we are in control and they have a tangible benefit but aren't allowed to get out of hand. 

For example, my mother always cleared away and did /had the washing up done straight after meals - she liked tidiness and orderliness, but wasn't obsessive about cleaning - she simply cleaned adequately. 

But if checking cleaning magical rituals in OCD are left in place, they are both likely to be restrictive and strengthen the OCD which may well expand into other themes and more restrictions. 

40 minutes ago, taurean said:

Yes it seeks to set restrictive rules. 

These can more and more limit our enjoyment of daily life. 

For me rituals may be OK if we are in control and they have a tangible benefit but aren't allowed to get out of hand. 

For example, my mother always cleared away and did /had the washing up done straight after meals - she liked tidiness and orderliness, but wasn't obsessive about cleaning - she simply cleaned adequately. 

But if checking cleaning magical rituals in OCD are left in place, they are both likely to be restrictive and strengthen the OCD which may well expand into other themes and more restrictions. 

Thank you taurean. I shall remain vigilant to my compulsions turning 'ugly' again.