Clothing etc.

A realisation today: I wear the same clothes all the time despite a varied wardrobe. I'm not talking about wearing the same clothes day after day until they are smelly (!) but I have rules with clothing. For example, I'll think "I only wore that T-shirt for a few hours" and I'll put it on a hanger BUT won't wear it the next day because I'm thinking people will notice I've been wearing the same item for two days. So I'll wear it a couple of days later and hope no-one notices.

This is not something which is a massive thing to me but it is something I'm conscious of so I guess it is OCD-related and of course some of us have multiple issues with OCD with varying degrees of severity. I think it is something - with my realisation - I can address myself without therapy which I'm on a break from anyway.

The other thing - which I'm not sure if this IS OCD-related - but I'll get fixated on one song. For example, I rarely buy brand-new albums because there is much available cheap as chips online unless it's a band I'm really, really into and I'll buy the album and just listen to one song over and over and over again. So an album I bought in early March I've listened to one song maybe 40 times and the rest of the songs on the album only a couple of times. Again, not hugely distressing but I guess OCD-related?

Just some thoughts. Thanks for reading friends and best wishes, Phil.

Hi Phil,

I can't say for certain whether your activities are OCD-related but I can describe mine to you, they are almost the same.

I too have rules for office wear and causal wear. Every shirt will only be worn and seen once a week in the office and trousers once every 2 or 3 days because mine are usually black, naval blue or grey. Causal clothing such as T-shirts, jumpers, bermuda shorts etc, will only be worn and seen once every 2 or 3 days. The reason is not due to any compulsion or quirk, it is just to avoid people from having the impression that I am too poor to afford new clothes. It is part of the culture in my part of the world. So definitely not OCD-related for me, I don't mind wearing the same clothing more often, because it hits the pocket less hard. It was even better when I was in the armed forces, since the clothing is well, uh, "UNIFORMED" ha ha.

When I like a song, I would play and listen to it non-stop for hours at a time, thankfully everything is digital nowadays, so no more worn out magnetic tapes anymore. After which maybe a couple of days or even 1 or 2 weeks later, I would switch to another song or just go silent. Since I suffer no distress going silent or playing another song, I guess it is definitely not OCD-related either, I just happened to like the song very much and enjoyed it to the max and once it ran its course, I move on.

My point of view is that as long it doesn't cause me to ruminate, act out a compulsion and/or prevents me from conducting my normal daily activities, it is not OCD.

Edited by St Mike

Thank you for the responses.

Well I suppose it is either ritualised behaviour with the clothing or maybe just a habit - I don't know if it would cause me undue stress as I've always been like this + I see it as a waste of washing powder so maybe with hindsight it isn't OCD-related - unless of course I change my routine and feel worried. 

The music thing is possibly just really getting into a song that I like and playing it over and over again?

Best wishes, Phil.

4 minutes ago, PhilM said:

The music thing is possibly just really getting into a song that I like and playing it over and over again?

Hi Phil. I do (and have always done) this. If I hear a banging new tune I have to give it multiple listens. It buoys my mood. So no harm to be done in my opinion.