Just a thought/question: If someone bumped a really helpful post - not necessarily by the poster, or me etc. - would that still be "bad form"? Just curious as I know the definition of "bumping". Best wishes, Phil

I periodically repost topics I have posted previously that feedback tells me people found really helpful. I also insert a link to that post into a post if I think it will help resolve the topic.

I do this for the benefit of newcomers to the forum, and in the furtherance of my overall desire to help fellow sufferers.

Some people "bump"  a topic back up with good intentions, or because no-one has answered and are desperate for an answer. 

For me there needs to be good intent plus good value in doing so in line with the aims of the charity with regards to the use of the forums. 

Could you please explain what bumping is because I'm not really sure? is it when someone starts a thread and someone changes the topic to something different ? 

Many thanks 

lost 

Bumping is when someone, usually the original poster, goes into a thread which has languished, and brings it back up to the top of the active topics by making a post in it - e.g. "bumping thread please can someone answer". 

It can be done specifically because it's good - the moderators occasionally go into an old,but good post and bump it to bring it back to everyone's attention. 

Here are the rules as set by the charity in December 2009.

Thread Bumping' is the act of posting in a thread with the sole aim of getting it back to the top of the forum list of topics, which is generally considered bad netiquette, in the real world it could be described like someone interrupting your conversation even though they don't have anything new to say.

Of course we all understand that in most cases when someone 'bumps' it is because they are scared, anxious and upset and we understand that, but out of fairness to all users we request our users please refrain from 'Thread Bumping'.

So why do some topics get lots of replies but my thread is getting no responses?

There are often lots of reasons for this, sometimes people are unsure what to say, or how to respond. Other reasons may be that users are at work and will reply later if they want to construct a carefully worded detailed response, rather than a one line comment. What we can assure you is that on the OCD-UK forums we work hard to ensure that all threads will always get a response within 24 hours.

However, if on that rare occasion your thread as not had a single response within 24 hours and it is no longer showing on the first page of the forum it is acceptable to post on it to bring it back to the top of people's attention.

I'm still a tad confused!

Im not sure if I have done this? 

So earlier I posted the thread just a thought, to try to help us help each other to avoid compulsions as a positive thread and share each other's experiences. Because of this I've been posting on here to share negative or positive feedback to hopefully share positivity or for advice when I've struggled avoiding doing this compulsion. However my intentions have never been to bring this back to the top of the forum but only for useful input, or replying to a previous comment is this called bumping? 

Hi lost,

I think your thread has the intention to help and encourage you and others to tackle your obsessions and compulsions, and share ideas towards that goal. 

It has produced some marvellous ideas and successes already, and the moderators have made no comment.

So it is actually bumping even though my intentions were only of good intentions for a positive post where we could share our experiences and maybe learn from each other's mistakes and help each other through difficult times facing our journey towards recovery and how we are tackling avoiding our compulsions etc. So there for even though my intentions are only of good ones I need to refrain from posting my successes and downfalls and trying to create a positive post. I will refrain from posting on it again  because it's against the forum policy, something I didn't realise untill now :(

Hi Lost,

A bit of clarity needed perhaps. :)

You're welcome to post on your positive thread whenever you want when it's to share your successes or downfalls, when you have something new to share, or when you need a bit of encouragement from others to see you through the day. That's not bumping.

However, regular posting throughout a single day as the thread starts to slip further down the page just to bring it back to the attention of others would be bumping, even if the intent was to add positivity to the forum.  

Sometimes we shamelessly bump an old advice thread when the subject it covers becomes topical again (these things, like fashion, go round in cycles :) ) But it's mostly to save the regulars repeating what they've already said many times over for the benefit of newcomers as the advice doesn't change.

Don't stress over it!

Thanks snowbear, I'm glad PhilM brought this to my attention though because I wasn't aware of what it was and what it meant :( 

:thankyousign: for clarifying this for me at least I'm aware of what it is now :yes: 

Hope your ok 

best wishes 

lost:)