On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 18:37, bruces said:

Do other people feel that their lives are hugely complex compared to others? 

I hope this not another one of your excuse threads not to tackle your problems?    Everybody has different complexities because of their mental health problems Bruces. The important aspect is to identify those problems and look at ways to challenge and deal with those. 

9 minutes ago, bruces said:

Glad to hear that in what way? 

I guess my life was simplified when I took responsibility for my issues. I was drowning in mental illness and drowning myself in alcohol to escape. When I finally accepted, despite how totally unfair it all is blah blah blah, that I'm still accountable for my own health and happiness, I took charge of my recovery and have never looked back.

I will try to get better I fought through some hard time in my life. And I am still on planet earth. And I know that I won’t let my mental health problems beat me I will recover  and empowering with knowledge about these false believes ocd is telling me. And I will do everything that non mentally ill people do. When I get better. 

4 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

I guess my life was simplified when I took responsibility for my issues. I was drowning in mental illness and drowning myself in alcohol to escape. When I finally accepted, despite how totally unfair it all is blah blah blah, that I'm still accountable for my own health and happiness, I took charge of my recovery and have never looked back.

Powerful reply Bruce's.  Is this something that maybe helpful to have a think about re your own situation?

People's lives can be complex or simple - some thrive on complexity; I loved my work because no client's issues were the same, and even my colleagues came to me with their challenging issues because they thought I, as mentor, was the right person to help and guide them. 

Others crave simplicity and live a monk/nun like existence, with a basic living structure and minimal belongings.

The most important thing is choice - exercising what I call our own "personal risk management" -  so that whatever the lifestyle we are given, or want, we look to deal with it sensibly and safely. And we don't have to remain in the circumstances we are - we can choose to seek to make changes for the better. 

When it comes to disability or illness, the world is full of people who have ignored their issues and lived a fulfilling and worthwhile life. 

And periodically on here people - who have faced very challenging, often complex, OCD issues - come back on here and say how they have overcome them with learning understanding and making necessary changes. 

It's not about how complex things may or may not be - it's what we think and what we do that counts. 

Each one of us has some element of power within to sink or swim, to surf or flounder. 

I choose to swim and surf. 

Edited by taurean
1 hour ago, bruces said:

...... just don't know where to start 

All that's important is making some sort of start somewhere Bruce.

If you can get going on something, anything....you're much more likely to gain a bit of momentum and confidence to tackle other areas - but you've got to make a firm commitment to yourself to take that first step in defiance of how you're feeling, and how you're feeling will gradually shift.

• 3 weeks later...

What answers are you hoping to receive, and why?

My answer would be no......but I'm sure many will answer yes and tell you why but what then?  What is the real benefit to you in reading this, how will it assist in your own improvement?

You probably think people are being rotten by asking you to question your motives rather than offering sympathy but it's important that you do.  Unless you do try and change these building blocks, the foundations, absolutely nothing will improve.  You can improve, difficult as that seems but only if you try and address the way you currently react and respond to the problem.

Hi Bruce

I totally understand what you say about life being complex. I too find myself making everything too complex and over thinking situations, then ending up doing nothing. The world we live in is massively complex......I guess its when we (and I say we cause I do this) allow too much time on these things. The skills can be used in a positive way, for example.....my work requires to make lots of assessments of people, I find that I often ask the questions know one thinks about.....that because I spend far too much time working out the complexities of their life.

To make changes.....I guess because your talking about change suggests that you are contemplating making changes. (wheel of change). The more you stay in "change talk" the more you will be more likely to change. I have two questions that might help your considerations

If you consider what life might be like for you, if you did make some changes?

If you didn't make any changes how might life be for you?

thanks for your time

That's good Jimmy. :goodpost:

And the place and time to start is now bruces. 

You know your issues. Write them down; headline each one. Then underneath write down how that has become a problem, and how you might make thinking and behavioural changes to correct that over time. 

Maybe start at the least challenging, and work your way up from there. 

Edited by taurean
Clarification

Thanks for the answers guys I need to take time to study them as I'm finding it a little difficult to concentrate at the minute,I'm not quite sure what is going on with me currently.

i feel a bit like I'm not really here and I'm watching life through a TV! It's a weird sort of feeling,very confusing,I havnt had any major traumas so not quite sure what's lead to this,I'm going out walking every night but feeling a bit trapped with work and not been able to get to go.