London Meet Up - Expression of Interest

One of my volunteers suggested we arrange a London meet-up on the day of the London 10,000k run on bank holiday Monday 29th May. The idea being we can meet and greet, have a chat to each other whilst supporting any of our fundraisers and then take a slow stroll along the Embankment to the south bank and have a sandwich or bag of chips before saying our goodbyes.

We have a couple of people running for us including Claudia who was on the BBC mind over marathon and who sadly couldn't run the marathon that day.  I may also don shorts (not decided yet). 

So if anybody might be interested in coming along please do post on here and if there is interest I will try and arrange something.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the team at Mind over Marathon will be having any further similar opportunities? I always find out about these things after they have happened and wish I'd known about them in time to apply to take part!  I really wish there was a retreat which included OCD therapy and physical exercise on offer somewhere in the world.  There was a summer camp for young people in Leeds which was on tely - perhaps for eating disorders  - it included physical exercise, group sessions, mentoring etc.  - and I really wish there was a similar programme for grown ups.

I am not the summer camp actually helped those young people at all, and I am not sure if that is a good advert for good quality therapy.  

There is the NHS ADRU clinic which actually does offer quality therapy, and in addition to 2-3 hours of individual therapy a week it also offers group therapy, and patients are free to come and go out so exercise in theory should be available too.

The point is though, we don't need gimmicks, we don't need to fly across the world, we don't need to appear on TV programmes we need to focus on trying to access good quality therapy and then we need to work at it to make the most out of the opportunity. 

Thanks Milo,

We will arrange something for sure, maybe in July or August.  The plans for this BH weekend not gone well due to over running magazine design so I need to work through the rest of this week and weekend to complete. 

Thanks for your comments, Ashley - interesting to hear your reaction to the Leeds programme.  I found out about ERP because my clinical psychologist at the time recommended that I watch "OCD Camp".  I realised that that was the therapy I needed, but when I asked my therapist about it, she said that of course the NHS couldn't pay for me to go to America.... Since then I have been trying to access ERP.  In the meantime, I see Tanya Byron apparently succeeding in treating people who eat too much [they lose weight], clinical psychologists and running experts and Mandy Saligari going to people's houses; doctors moving in with people, Skyping a load of experts and letting the patient choose which one she'd like.  This is great for the people on the TV shows, but I'm like, "what about the ordinary people" who don't have celebrities helping them?!  For me, they aren't painting a fair or realistic picture because the majority of us don't access treatment courtesy of a TV company.

19 hours ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

For me, they aren't painting a fair or realistic picture because the majority of us don't access treatment courtesy of a TV company.

I think you're missing the point. :unsure:  The TV shows aren't trying to suggest therapy needs to be done like it is on the programmes they feature. They're simply trying to make people aware of the TYPE of therapy available, so they can seek out the equivalent in their own back yard. 

These shows highlight what's possible when the sufferer puts their mind to it and receives a bit of one on one therapy. Which is exactly what you should be aiming for in a standard CBT session in a standard NHS setting. Regardless of whether it's performing to a camera and a nation of viewers or just you and your therapist sitting in plastic chairs in the privacy of an NHS office somewhere, the therapy is essentially the same. 

Don't confuse setting with content. Weddings are a useful comparison. Is a wedding any less valid if it's performed in a registry office with only two witnesses instead of being a celebrity splash that gets tons of media attention? No. At the end of the day a wedding is about two people making a commitment to each other for the future. Therapy is about two people working together to achieve a result. The setting of the vows/therapy has no bearing whatsoever on whether it will be a success or a failure. That's up to the two people involved and whether they are committed to putting in the effort to make work.