If OCD is behavioural why can't we forget it?

My psychologist has told me that OCD is behavioural that it is learned but if that is the case then why can it not be forgotten? Why do things like hypnosis not work?

Learned? ... only through repetition. It's not surprising - if you react to a 'perceived trauma' - you send a message to the brain that something is 'important'. Thus difficult to forget. 

11 hours ago, Phili said:

Why do things like hypnosis not work?

I'm not exactly sure why Phili.  Hypnosis isn't a cure-all for everything, nor does it always eliminate a behaviour/fear/whatever from someones life.  My personal theory is that it could be partly to do with the Hypnotherapist having an inadequate and in-depth knowledge of the condition, therefore can't address it properly....but that's just a thought, nothing more.  Hypnosis works best for simple phobia's, changing habits, relaxation etc.  With simple phobia's they are looking at one thing, possibly with a root cause (either known or unknown) and it's probably easier to address.  I do know that I've wasted a great deal of money and had about 3 courses of hypnotherapy with no beneficial effect.

But she's right, the way we respond to OCD is a learned behaviour.....the good news is that it can be unlearned

I don't quite describe my OCD as learnt. It is to me an inappropriate response to an unwanted instrusive thought. I can and have changed the way I respond and changed the way I view the thought. Personally, I have never forgotten my OCD, it just doesn't affect me anymore. It is the same as my memory of hurling my first hand grenade when I was in boot camp. I guess such memories can only be "forgotten" through amnesia or dementia or alzheimer's which ever comes first, ha ha. When I removed the rumination and complusions, the intrusive thought just don't pop up as often because the thought is starved of the mental energy generated from those ruminations and complusions. Infact the memory of hurling my first hand grenade popped up, writing this reply. I haven't thought of it for decades.

Hello Phili

I agree with St Mike.

You know, we are like the onion. It has layers. 

The fear of dogs is not as close to my soul as the fear of me being a pedophile.

I am pretty sure you got the idea.