Some personal views

Hello.

As a 20+ year (hopefully now recovering not looking for a "cure") sufferer of this condition I feel I have some (mine as always) opinions to offer without any antagonism intended. Moderation is fine as is appropriate constructive criticism plus I try not to use acronyms.

So in no particular order:

Please do not go down the road I, and others, have been with tranquillisers unless it is just for a VERY short period of time.

Try not to seek constant reassurance despite how desperate you feel as it is like a drug addiction - I've been there myself.

Don't depend on Community Mental Teams as they have very limited resources depending where you live in the UK.

Crisis teams are similar - they can come round daily to see how you are doing but are not going to be with you 24/7. They also have limited resources and lots of people to visit.

Don't depend on this forum as helpful and fantastic as it is but post as much as you like appropriately. Sufferers have lots to offer but are not professionals and I think it is unfair on fellow sufferers who have tried to help to read extreme posts about self-harm etc. Read all posts but especially posts from people who have been where you are and try to take it on board - your thoughts are NOT you.

Do not think medication is a magical wand - for some it helps and some it doesn't. Sometimes waiting for the medication used for depression and OCD may increase anxiety and may not even help.

CBT with a competent therapist is the recognised way forward for OCD sufferers?

Try to be a little kinder to yourself despite what is going on in your mind.

Lastly and I really mean this despite my personal experiences - perhaps do not be afraid of a hospital admission if you are feeling desperate as I'm sure there are lots of different hospital scenarios. Also lot of CMHTS try their best (in my experience having lived in different parts of the UK ) to keep people from being admitted - especially with anxiety conditions.

All of the above is non-negative - just my views and I hope nobody takes any of it the wrong way. There is hope friends - I know that because I've suffered from this condition since I was 22 and I am now 45 but have a life ahead. I believe that.

Best wishes, Phil.

Edited by PhilM
adding a bit
2 minutes ago, PhilM said:

Hello.

As a 20+ year (hopefully now recovering not looking for a "cure") sufferer of this condition I feel I have some (mine as always) opinions to offer without any antagonism intended. Moderation is fine as is appropriate constructive criticism plus I try not to use acronyms.

So in no particular order:

Please do not go down the road I, and others, have been with tranquillisers unless it is just for a VERY short period of time.

Try not to seek constant reassurance despite how desperate you feel as it is like a drug addiction - I've been there myself.

Don't depend on Community Mental Teams as they have very limited resources depending where you live in the UK.

Crisis teams are similar - they can come round daily to see how you are doing but are not going to be with you 24/7. They also have limited resources and lots of people to visit.

Don't depend on this forum as helpful and fantastic as it is and post as much as you like appropriately. Sufferers have lots to offer but are not professionals and I think it is unfair on fellow sufferers who have tried to help to read extreme posts about self-harm etc. Read all posts but especially posts from people who have been where you are and try to take it on board - your thoughts are NOT you.

Do not think medication is a magical wand - for some it helps and some it doesn't. Sometimes waiting for the medication used for depression and OCD may increase anxiety and may not even help.

CBT with a competent therapist is the recognised way forward for OCD sufferers?

Try to be a little kinder to yourself despite what is going on in your mind.

Lastly and I really mean this despite my personal experiences - perhaps do not be afraid of a hospital admission if you are feeling desperate as I'm sure there are lots of different hospital scenarios. A lot of CMHTS try their best (in my experience having lived in different parts of the UK ) to keep people from being admitted - especially with anxiety conditions.

All of the above is non-negative - just my views and I hope nobody takes any of it the wrong way. There is hope friends - I know that because I've suffered from this condition since I was 22 and I am now 45 but have a life ahead. I believe that.

Best wishes, Phil.

Excellent post Phil. I agree with all of the above, and would add that we each of us need to be more forgiving of ourselves. Life's tough. Life with a mental health condition is tougher still. I would like to establish a 'Cut Yourself Some Slack' day, but actually we should all do that every day of our lives. And celebrate our quirks, not condemn our imperfections. Forgive yourself. Love yourself. I know I do!

It's a great post Phil, and I hope many people read it. 

I viewed my work as therapy , a means to refocus away, and that was great distraction. 

But when really struggling,depressed and not at work I just tried to achieve several things a day, and to give myself a little treat if I carried out some necessary behavioural change.

This lifted my spirits and also rewarded me for carrying out a challenging task. 

The forums constantly prove that those who have been there know an awful lot and sincerely wish to pass on their experiences to help others. 

What a wonderful place this is :)

3 minutes ago, taurean said:

The forums constantly prove that those who have been there know an awful lot and sincerely wish to pass on their experiences to help others. 

What a wonderful place this is :)

Agreed!

And thank you Zazoo.