taurean

Members Chat Room Out Of Order

18 posts in this topic

The chatroom isn't working at the moment, any news on when it might be back online? 

The software providers have decided to drop the chat feature from the standard forum software.  I need to source a third party app to use with the forum, but with it not being used all that often I need to decide if the cost/time is worth it. 

Its sad the chat room had to close, just has it had started to be used again :yes: but good news is biscuitcat came up with a great alternative :yes:

Ashley I do really appreciate the time and costs involved and understand that may be it wasn't worth it financially, but it would have been more courteous to have let us guys know of this before hand, especially with a few of using it from time to time:)

2 hours ago, lostinme said:

but it would have been more courteous to have let us guys know of this before hand, especially with a few of using it from time to time:)

This is true, but the truth is I had intended to resolve the issue before now with a third party app replacement, but what was March became April and then May and here we are.  I wasn't actually aware it was being used much though?

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

This is true, but the truth is I had intended to resolve the issue before now with a third party app replacement, but what was March became April and then May and here we are.  I wasn't actually aware it was being used much though?

I totally understand that time flys bye at times and we all have good intentions of seeing to something or do something and before we know it the days the weeks etc have gone before us :yes: it happens to us all :lol:

A few of us did use the chatroom from time to time, so it came as a bit of a shock when a few members was hoping to chat and couldn't enter the room, thinking it was just a technical hitch:(

However back to your previous comment regarding costs and time, I totally appreciate that you have to way up the pros and cons as to what is best for the charity :yes: and if this means that the time and money would be spent elsewhere for more beneficial things then I'm totally behind you on this :yes:

I hope I didn't offend you by saying this because that wasn't my intentions, it would just have been nicer if we had been aware of the situation before it occured. 

Lost 

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 17:34, lostinme said:

it would just have been nicer if we had been aware of the situation before it occured

Like I said, I had hoped to resolve but then forgot.

I have now purchased a new chat software license for the forum, but I have hit some installation problems so I will try and get it working when I can later in the day or next week sometime. 

Its easily done,  I've done it myself a few times also :yes:

I really appreciate that you've gone out and purchased the new software for the forum and that your hoping to install it soon. However has i mentioned in my earlier post that if the money and time was better spent else where, were it was more beneficial then that was totally understandable too :) my intentions for posting wasn't to make you feel compelled that you needed to replace it:( I really hope this wasn't the case that's the last thing I wanted to do.

Lost 

Well we sought to get by without the instant messaging when biscuitcat needed some solace on Friday night. 

We managed it, but it was frustrating using a central Perk thread and waiting for a notification indicator to show someone had replied. The chatroom facility was so much better. 

7 hours ago, lostinme said:

I really hope this wasn't the case that's the last thing I wanted to do.

I think it might have been me putting pressure on earlier in the year Lost. :D Don't fret over it. 

Once it's up and running let's make sure it gets used and then it will be worthwhile whatever. :) 

5 minutes ago, snowbear said:

Once it's up and running let's make sure it gets used and then it will be worthwhile whatever. :) 

I agree. Many of us have busy lives at weekends and evenings - but if we encourage it as a "drop-in centre"  where people can pop in to see what's going on then simply leave when they want, I think there would be more users. 

34 minutes ago, snowbear said:

I think it might have been me putting pressure on earlier in the year Lost. :D Don't fret over it. 

I was so worried 😩 i didn't want to upset or offend anyone and I feel upset 😭 that i might have somehow helped forced Ashley's hand by responding to the post and that was never my intentions :( 

Yes I totally agree if Ashley as been so kind to reinstate it then the least we should all do is use it and make it worthwhile :yes:

Why not use a chat box instead of a chat room, it will likely get used a lot more, particularly by shy posters

I am still working on the chat room, I am not sure yet what form it will take. 

Why not use a chat box instead of a chat room, it will likely get used a lot more, particularly by shy posters

I think the "Multiple User" room is the appeal rather than several one on one chats.  Good therapy for shy users to face their fears, they can still (generally) use a chat box within the room......but as with all things, I'd rather see people dealing with problems rather than offering a facility that encourages avoidance.  Just my two-penneth.

It will be good to see people use the chat again, at one time it was used on a nightly basis

I have been in the chat thread on two occasions recently, and been able to provide guidance and help - almost in the moment - to other members in need. 

I see the chatroom as helpful in this way, but also as a chat "club" for members to chat about anything. 

We need to get over people's self-confidence issues, and we need to encourage people to just drop in when others are in there, co-ordinate a chat suggestion (anyone available to chat) as biscuitcat did. Or maybe PM a friend we can see is online from the user list, to suggest a chat. 

It needs more than 3 of us with the confidence to do this, to be the success it can,certainly, be. 

Not forgotten about chat... just sorting some technical glitches out with a supplier of the software for the new chat room. 

Thanks Ashley.

That's great news :thumbup:

Ah i had no idea it had gone lol I was off into the chat room just now and couldn't find the option!:)