I just wanted to share were I am with all this. I am not officially diagnosed with OCD how my GP informed me I have all the classic signs, unwanted thoughts, fixations, avoidance, checking etc.

I am 40 years old and feel I have had OCD most of my adult life and it seems to have gone from 4/10 to about an 8 or 9/10 in recent years. I feel like I am at the point where I will either choose to stay this way or do something about this.

My thoughts are like an avalanche and trying to self-talk my way around has little or no effect. I find that the only time my OCD goes down to 4/10 is when I’m with my kids. I live on my own and find that my thoughts seem to get more out of control. I would love some help, my main failing is I am very dismissive of “clichés” and I’m counselling trained so not sure how to tackle this on my own…..support groups scare me (as I avoid social situation in my personal life). I feel that I have very much isolated myself from people and rarely let anyone in. All my relationships have ended probably down (partially) down to OCD. I don’t want to live my life alone like this as its getting me down and I feel I have limited life.

Help!!!

Jammy, it's quite normal for OCD to get worse over time. It usually gets worse; rarely does it get better.

As simple as it sounds, the cure for isolating yourself is to stop isolating yourself. You have to get out and about and share life with other people. While you do that you need to try and shut down that negative self talk that tends to ruin social engagements.

The one thing that works for OCD is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.  You can teach it to yourself but it works much better if you're under the guidance if an experienced CBT therapist.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. I know about the ocd help group in Newcastle, I have been thinking about going for about 7 months. I know CBT as I'm ironically have therapy background. Basically, because I over think, I get fear and anxiety then choose the safe option and do nothing. Fear is a powerful enemy and the battle for my head or decision making is centered around fighting fear. 

Things have been a little easier recently, however I know I need to do something about this

I can understand a bit about what you're going through.  I think you've got a good attitude and want to help yourself.  Take a small step if you feel you can - hopefully it will make you feel better.  For example, you can email the CBT centre, you could phone them.  You could go to see your GP again - alone or with someone.  Or you could ask someone to take you to the OCD support group if that would be easier than going alone.  So you have a few choices, and any of them would be a step forward?  I have extreme problems with carrying out the things I want to do and which I know will help me.  I guess I'm scared of setting targets for myself, but I think they're probably pretty important! Keep us updated?

• 2 weeks later...

Things are not too bad at the moment, making plans and setting goals is hard when your OCD kicks in and gives you a million and one reasons not to do it. I am trying to change and recently took my son out camping and hill walking.........I wouldn't have done this last year. I am a firm believer in that people can find solutions to their own problems. You don't need someone to tell you what to do........if you over think like I do, you probably already know what you should be doing.....

I rarely want advice or people giving me solutions. I just want people who understand and get it.........and bring hope

Hi Jimmy, that sounds great (spending time with your son doing outdoor exercise etc.!).  I've been doing Nordic walking, crossfit, walking up a hill as well... My care co-ordinator asked me if I had been sleeping better as a result and I thought about it and realised that I had! No I don't know what I should be doing but I've read the conference agenda and it says that Prof Salkovkis has a topic on what to do when you're on a waiting list!  My hope fades quite frequently but I try to have something to look forward to to keep me going.  Things have been going well at MIND - I've made some new friends so I've got more people to hang out with which is great. Enjoy your summer

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 17:28, seekingERPnorthwest said:

I've been doing Nordic walking, crossfit, walking up a hill as well... My care co-ordinator asked me if I had been sleeping better as a result and I thought about it and realised that I had!

you have kind of answered what you should be doing, clearly this has helped you in one area.

I try to have something to look forward to to keep me going

again you have answered your question.

I've made some new friends so I've got more people to hang out with which is great.

and again.

people need hope in their hearts...........the above clearly gives you hope, you are already finding your own solutions.