Perfectionism when studying.

I'm studying a language, and basically I look up every word I don't know and write it down. When I do workbooks on this language, I take notes on everything, pretty much writing out some of the text word for word in my notebook. I wonder if this is counterproductive. It feels like I might actually retain more information by not trying to retain everything, if that makes sense...

When I learn a new language (I had to learn 2 in school and another 2 for work and travel), I too had to look up every word I don't know and write it down. The foundation of learning a new language (at least from my experience) is memory work and repetition until it becomes edged into the mind and it flows out naturally when you speak the language.

As I progressed, I only focus on the new words and leave out those words I already know. In my opinion, if you are still taking notes on words that you have already mastered, then you should leave them out, it takes up too much time and is counter productive. Because once you master the basics of the language, the next step is to engage in conversation with a native speaker, that will cement what you have learnt into your mind.