Is totally obsessed with bad luck and good luck, he asked me to smash a mirror to prove to him that bad lucks not real, which I didn't do of course, then he saw the salt shaker tonight and grabbed it out of my hand shouting good luck, good luck!! Trying to shake some over his shoulder, I said good luck and bad luck is not real and he keeps saying "it is to me." I'm trying hard not to allow him to do compulsions by taking his attention away from what he's doing or outright stopping him, but I think his autism is making it harder for him to understand why I'm doing that as he doesn't believe his worries are irrational at all. Just needed to vent a little. It's so hard.xx 

My inclination is to tell you to completely ignore what he is doing. Give him no attention whatsoever. Do not acknowledge what he does or says. If he doesn't get a rise out of you, I'm thinking maybe this behaviour might go away.

I don't think he's doing it to get a rise out of me, he's not a bit well with anxiety. I don't think that if people ignored me and didn't give me any attention that my behaviours would've just went away, if only it was that easy! he spends all day in school a mess with anxiety, he can't carry out compulsions in school, which is good as it means he's having to learn to sit with the anxiety but it's like when he gets through the door he loses his mind and gets really upset and starts to do the hand washing and reassurance seeking a hell of a lot more in the first hour of being home than what he does the rest of the evening, I have been advised to make him write down what the worst possible outcome will be if the feared thing happens to help him see that it won't be that bad, but he truly believes that it IS that bad so at the moment that's not working x

Edited by Wonderer
3 minutes ago, Gemma7 said:

Hi Wonderer sorry to hear your son is struggling. Have you tried any books aimed at children with OCD/anxiety? They may help him understand his worries better. 

Thanks Gemma, we haven't got any books yet, but he has a lot of materials provided at school and we have plenty of anxiety managing for kids stuff as well, could u recommend any books? X

1 minute ago, Jessie_Loz said:

Hmmm this sounds like advice to give about some bratty kid. It will not just go away if she doesnt acknowledge him and i know wonderer pretty well now and i know she will do anything to make sure her sons O.C.D doesnt end up as bad as hers. I know if it was my son id want to help in whatever ways i can by showing him what i have learnt in CBT and like wonderer said showing that there is no truth in good luck and bad luck in whatever ways i can.

Sorry your going through a tough time hunni i think ur doing great!

Xxx

Hey Jess! Thank u so much, I have to agree, I'm pretty good at ignoring "bad" behaviour, I don't think the same approach would work for OCD! Wish it would ? Also the thought of not awknowledging anything he does or says when he's extremely distressed and downright miserable would not feel very natural to me as a parent, I'd be upset and he'd be even more upset ?. Thanks for the encouragement Hun xx

9 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Thanks Gemma, we haven't got any books yet, but he has a lot of materials provided at school and we have plenty of anxiety managing for kids stuff as well, could u recommend any books? X

I just remember a few recommended by the charity, I think they are stocked in the shop and wondered if they could help :)

You're doing a great job, just keep trying even though it's hard I'm sure your son will get there xx