Hiya folks

I have a visit to make this weekend. I've described its nature previously so won't rake over old ground.

The anxiety I'm feeling is intense, so much so that it's taking me back to a time in my life when, due to poor choices, I was mixing with unpleasant individuals on a daily basis. I'm feeling the fear that gripped me way back then. It's somewhat unfamiliar these days, and all the more horrid for it.

Is it common to be acutely minded of previous fears during times of anxiety? I'm at the point of panic and I'm disappointed (gentle euphemism) to have returned to a place I had assumed existed now only in distant memory.

6 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

Is it common to be acutely minded of previous fears during times of anxiety? I'm at the point of panic and I'm disappointed (gentle euphemism) to have returned to a place I had assumed existed now only in distant memory.

I'm not a professional but I think the answer is yes. During times of anxiety I find it is quite often negative thoughts of previous fears will return briefly.

I don't think you have returned "to a place I had assumed existed now only in distant memory". I think it's a natural response to remembering unpleasant times in your life - but you've moved on from that so they are "just" memories in my opinion if that makes sense? Plus, of course, you know that panic albeit unpleasant is harmless. Just my view.

Best wishes, your friend Phil.

1 minute ago, PhilM said:

I'm not a professional but I think the answer is yes. During times of anxiety I find it is quite often negative thoughts of previous fears will return briefly.

I don't think you have returned "to a place I had assumed existed now only in distant memory". I think it's a natural response to remembering unpleasant times in your life - but you've moved on from that so they are "just" memories in my opinion if that makes sense? Plus, of course, you know that panic albeit unpleasant is harmless. Just my view.

Best wishes, your friend Phil.

Thank you Phil. I appreciate your response very much. I guess I'm just not accustomed to this degree of anxiety anymore. I suppose I should be grateful that it is conspicuous because of its rarity, and get my **** together happy in the knowledge that in 3 days time this too shall have passed.

I always appreciate your responses my friend. We can't predict what is going to happen. I've often dreaded attending many functions - especially family ones - and they haven't turned out as badly as I thought although sometimes I've had to grit my teeth and take a lot of deep breaths...

2 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

Hiya folks

I have a visit to make this weekend. I've described its nature previously so won't rake over old ground.

The anxiety I'm feeling is intense, so much so that it's taking me back to a time in my life when, due to poor choices, I was mixing with unpleasant individuals on a daily basis. I'm feeling the fear that gripped me way back then. It's somewhat unfamiliar these days, and all the more horrid for it.

It's not uncommon OceanDweller.

Our mind operates in the form of "memory windows"  policed by a "sentry". 

When something unpleasant occurs which triggers an anxiety reaction, it is labelled as such and stored as a memory window. 

When something potentially threatening occurs, the "sentry"  checks previous memory windows to see if something similar has occurred, and whether the anxiety response was triggered. 

If there is a match, and anxiety was previously triggered, it will press the alarm button. 

It is possible of course through CBT to revisit the trigger from the past, and change our response so no anxiety is triggered. 

Then when the sentry does his check, he will find no alarm and the new situation will also not be considered a threat. 

28 minutes ago, taurean said:

It's not uncommon OceanDweller.

Our mind operates in the form of "memory windows"  policed by a "sentry". 

When something unpleasant occurs which triggers an anxiety reaction, it is labelled as such and stored as a memory window. 

When something potentially threatening occurs, the "sentry"  checks previous memory windows to see if something similar has occurred, and whether the anxiety response was triggered. 

If there is a match, and anxiety was previously triggered, it will press the alarm button. 

It is possible of course through CBT to revisit the trigger from the past, and change our response so no anxiety is triggered. 

Then when the sentry does his check, he will find no alarm and the new situation will also not be considered a threat. 

Thank you very much Roy.

So, to clarify, even if the new perceived threat has nothing in common with the remembered event, the mind can still 'link' the two so the old trauma comes to the fore during a period of acute stress.

Sorry. I just want to make sure I understand the process (for my own peace of mind, and my work).

Much obliged Roy.

Edited by OceanDweller
Wrong Word
40 minutes ago, OceanDweller said:

So, to clarify, even if the new perceived threat has nothing in common with the remembered event, the mind can still 'link' the two so the old trauma comes to the fore during a period of acute stress.

Yes - OCD adds to the mix, as it can seek to make "connections"  where none actually exists (a particular issue with mine with which the other "wise owl" members have been helping me). 

Knowledge is power, (and the tale of memory windows and sentries comes from a book by a well-known clinical psychologist)  and knowing why my mind makes up connections to conjure up distress has really helped me tackle this. 

Glad to be of assistance. 

Roy 

Edited by taurean
6 minutes ago, taurean said:

Yes - OCD adds to the mix, as it can seek to make "connections"  where none actually exists (a particular issue with mine with which the other "wise owl" members have been helping me). 

Knowledge is power, (and the tale of memory windows and sentries comes from a book by a well-known clinical psychologist)  and knowing why my mind makes up connections to conjure up distress has really helped me tackle this. 

Glad to be of assistance. 

Roy 

Thank you once again Roy. You yourself are wise indeed. I am going to assume that, just because my 'quirky' mind has made these connections, in reality there is no threat, and so no reason to feel panicked.

Knowledge truly is power. 

And often our judgement gets clouded by red herrings and the shenanigans of OCD at work. 

But often we only need a touch of enlightenment to see through that. 

And this is the "Go To" place where often it can be found :)

Hi OD

I think we can have all 'mental revisits' to previous times in our lives. I know I have; recalled a time when I felt the obsession and fear so strongly and wondering what the difference is between then and now (the answer is, of course: citalopram :D) OCD can come up strongly during times of stress - so don't be too hard on yourself. Be gentle with yourself and take it one step at a time.

C x

5 minutes ago, taurean said:

Knowledge truly is power. 

And often our judgement gets clouded by red herrings and the shenanigans of OCD at work. 

But often we only need a touch of enlightenment to see through that. 

And this is the "Go To" place where often it can be found :)

Amen to that Roy.

2 minutes ago, Cub said:

Hi OD

I think we can have all 'mental revisits' to previous times in our lives. I know I have; recalled a time when I felt the obsession and fear so strongly and wondering what the difference is between then and now (the answer is, of course: citalopram :D) OCD can come up strongly during times of stress - so don't be too hard on yourself. Be gentle with yourself and take it one step at a time.

C x

Thank you Cub. You're quite correct of course. Important to keep such 'spikes' in perspective. The event itself will span just a matter of hours. And I'm hoping some real good will come out of it. Time to get back into character and be brave!

You're being very brave already. Well done. It'll be over soon, whatever it is and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

1 minute ago, Cub said:

You're being very brave already. Well done. It'll be over soon, whatever it is and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Thank you Cub. I will be posting on Sunday evening with a huge smile plastered upon my face! ?

There isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been said, but quite often we get all worked up prior to an engagement and when we actually get there everything goes fine and we wonder why we got ourselves so worked up about it :yes:

Good luck with the weekend OceanDweller, hope all goes well for you :yes:

2 minutes ago, lostinme said:

There isn't anything I can say that hasn't already been said, but quite often we get all worked up prior to an engagement and when we actually get there everything goes fine and we wonder why we got ourselves so worked up about it :yes:

Good luck with the weekend OceanDweller, hope all goes well for you :yes:

Wise words lost. And thank you very much for the well-wishes. I know I'm going to be just fine.

On 18/05/2017 at 23:38, OceanDweller said:

A happy reminder that even those of us who work in mental health are just as prone to emotional 'wobbles'. There's no immunity to life!

Very true, we are all human after all.

Whatever the outcome on Sunday, always remember how far you have come, that itself is worthy of respect.

All the Best!!!

St Mike