In need of support

I am pretty sick with a cold that is also giving me the runs, headaches, hot flashes and I have this bright spot in the middle of my left eye that wont go away since I woke up an hour or so ago.

This morning I coughed and it felt like my head siezed up and spun and my vision blurred.

I dont get colds often and I am really stressing out. I dont know what is normal and what is not and every website is different. My psychologist didnt come this week because i was ill, so I couldnt talk it over with her. My brother never gets a cold either, last time I had one was last November before last and to an OCD brain thats a long time. 

Im freaking out

It is so easy to label everything reassurance.

My psychologist said that if I dont understand something, to look it up. But cold and flu symptoms seem to differ per website and I dont even know which I have. So I come here to ask people who might have experience. I dont go out and so I get ill very rarely and I dont know what is right and what is wrong when I do get sick. 

This is the only place I have to go but as soon as I post, someone slaps a reassurance sign on my door and then no one takes me seriously and Im sick of it. My psychologist says reassurance is asking the same thing over and over not reaching out for knowledge or shared experience.

There are many ways people could respond to my issue without offering reassurance, im alone, I have health OCD and I am sick, im on my period, my nerves are bad and i am really trying to keep my head. I don't need people to hand describe every symptom, I just needed someone to talk to and not someone to blast a red x on my door. 

Hi Phili, 

If you are experiencing headaches/migraines as well the dot in your vision/blurred vision could be an aura. Aura is visual disturbances usually before the onset of a migraine, I get them sometimes and they are quite scary.

That all sounds quite normal to me. I hope you feel better soon. :flowers2:

Thank you. I have been getting a lot of headaches and my vision is full of flashes, bright spots and floaters. My anxiety is super high and im not sleeping. Im also very depressed

2 minutes ago, Phili said:

Thank you. I have been getting a lot of headaches and my vision is full of flashes, bright spots and floaters. My anxiety is super high and im not sleeping. Im also very depressed

Yup that sounds like migraine with aura. I normally find lying in a dark room for an hour or two helps - I'd also drink lots of water to stay hydrated.

The first time I had it it really freaked me out, and it scares me a little each time because it can be quite disorientating, but it will go. The not sleeping won't be helping matters, it can become very stressful. Maybe try listening to some light relaxing music to help you get some sleep, or just close your eyes and rest.

Just remember the way you are feeling won't last forever. If you can stomach it maybe go to the pharmacy to get some cold and flu medicine.

I'm sorry Philli but from my view you are reassurance seeking. This used to be a huge problem for you. Every sniffle, spot of blood or pain made you come here to the forum, looking for reassurance that you were okay. It happened a hundred times if it happened once. That is reassurance seeking. You were counselled by many people, including Caramoole, to try and stop that reassurance seeking and get yourself involved in other things.

It took a lot of advice giving but you know what? It worked. You had a period of several months where you rarely if ever posted about your minor symptoms. Now you're back with the se old questions and I fear you have slipped back into doing compulsions.

Your psychiatrist is right. Reassurance seeking is asking fir assurance multiple times. But that's exactly what you used to do. I'm quite confident if he knew how many times you posted on here asking if you were okay, he would label it reassurance seeking too.

I'm not trying to be mean. I'm being realistic. I don't want you to fall back on old compulsions.

Edited by PolarBear