Fear of losing control

I'm currently suffering from fears of harming my loved ones especially my 6 week old baby. Today a new fears took over me and that is what if I loose control and am not in control of my actions, what if I go crazy! I don't feel like myself at the minute and I'm petrified, please help.

Hi there worriedmum :)

These types of thoughts and worries are very common among mothers with OCD so try not to worry. Have you talked to your gp about being referred for CBT talking therapy, it is the gold standard therapy for OCD. I also recommend the book Break free from OCD. 

In CBT you learn that intrusive thoughts are a natural occurrence that we as sufferers put meaning on usually due to an inflated responsibility to prevent harm. It is natural that as a mother the last thing you want to do is hurt your baby and therefore it is natural that thoughts that make you worry you will will be very very distressing. You need therapy and lots of love and support but you can and will feel better :)

No you're not losing control you're just worried you are. The more as sufferers we try to push thoughts away the more you notice them and the more often they come. CBT will teach you how to deal with the thoughts.

I'm not going to offer you reassurance because it doesn't work fir long.

What you're going through sounds like OCD. I've heard the same story multiple times. Worrying that you're going to lose control is about the worst thing you can do. You have to Forge on ahead, dismiss the thoughts about losing control as irrelevant and get on with your day.

You cannot directly stop intrusive thoughts

You can however change the way you react to thoughts, which will benefit you down the road.