Help for waiting list blues

I waited almost a year, the first few months of waiting I was so consumed with "I'll be getting help soon" that I didn't do much to help myself, as time went on and I realised it was going to be a long time I began to get more proactive helping myself in the mean time, reading self help books and making tiny changes to my behaviours. It meant when the therapy finally came, I was in a much better position to engage! In the end my mum managed to get hold of the head of CBT services here and I got pushed up the list because it had been so long, so u could also try and speak to someone higher up than who you usually speak to about the waiting times! Xx

I see what you are saying, thanks for the advice.  I am hardly doing anything to help myself at the moment - feeling paralysed following past 15 month journey to try to get help and there still being no therapy going to happen soon... Feeling sorry for myself and cross with the NHS even though we should be grateful for it...

I'm in the same position, although I'm lucky to be able to afford private therapy, although not as often as I would like. I've been on the NHS CBT waiting list since January 2016 and no news as yet.

I think it's the classic private versus NHS medical treatment issue. 

The NHS is wonderful in concept but unable through various problems to deliver speedy access. 

I was blessed with the wonderful employment benefit of free (other than the tax payment for a benefit in kind)  private medical insurance, which proved very beneficial to me for physical and mental illness. 

In retirement I have no insurance now - but when I really needed it a couple of years ago, I paid for more private CBT treatment personally. 

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, I've been waiting a year and a half for treatment now.  I've had about half a dozen assessments and I don't know how to cope when the time to treatment keeps increasing instead of decreasing.  I've done NHS complaints and my MP has got involved but nothing seems to make any difference.  I could / could have paid for treatment but I haven't managed to find anything in the north.

Hi just to say I've just joined The Big White Wall which is more anonymous than on here but you could join that (it's free) and maybe someone on there could advise you on private treatment in your area.  My GP directed me to Healthy Minds here in Lancashire and I've had a phone triage withjn 2 days and should have an appointment in the next 3 weeks. Hope that helps.

Hi Lancslass, thanks so much for suggesting The Big White Wall. I've looked into it - it costs £9.99 / month but it doesn't say how many months you are committed for...    I've had a look for Healthy Minds - the equivalent in Cumbria seems to be Kooth but that seems to be just for children and young people and at 38 I think I'm too old