Using Creative Visualisation As An Aid To CBT

We all need to understand and work on our cognitive behavioural therapy in order to get, and keep, better. 

But there are a number of additional techniques that can really work well to help in our therapy, and creative visualisation is one of them. 

I believe what we want to happen we can make happen using this technique - I find that a helpful cliché in this regard is 

Prayerise, visualise, actualize. 

This technique, which I am going to call the "taurean technique"  came to me as a result of going to the hearing consultant. I have found my hearing getting worse, and decided it was time to get some help. 

My new aids are clever electronic gizmos - they think for themselves, communicate with each other, and they can be specifically programmed for ultimate performance - outside of a standard geared directly to my hearing loss profile  - in 6 different situation scenarios, and as the expert and I meet periodically over the next few weeks, we will be working on this. 

Ultimately I can pick the mode to be used from a mobile app or remote control - clever indeed :)

So my idea for the taurean technique is to use this simple idea to choose my mindset. And I can do this by visualising the change, rather like changing musicassettes in a tape player, or tracks on an MP3 mysicplayer. 

So if I, for example, wake up and find myself depressed and defeatist, I can take out the depressed and defeatist cassette from my brain, and insert the happy and confident programme. Then believe it is running, improving my mood and confidence. 

As is often the case, it's a very simple technique, but if we believe we have the power to do this, we can make it happen. 

The Taurean Technique is in its infancy at the moment, but I think it has legs, and I will be working on it further :) I only have these two programmes devised at the moment. 

Edited by taurean

I agree with what you are devising here Roy I've noticed that when I get up in a calm relaxed manner and just work through my tasks for the day without a care of what I get done most of the time it runs smoothly. But if I get up in a stressed and anxious mood before I start, I start to think ahead of what I need to do and then I become more anxious, then usually the day becomes a downward spiral. However sometimes on a bad day I can also manage to turn this around to being a good day but it takes practice to enter that calm mood thinking ? 

"But if I get up in a stressed and anxious mood before I start, I start to think ahead of what I need to do and then I become more anxious, then usually the day becomes a downward spiral".

This is exactly why I am looking to slot in mentally an alternative thinking programme that, instead of going there and into a downward spiral, I can rather switch my mental programming to happy confident strong etc,  this gently easing away the bad emotions replacing them with good emotions and having a great time, not a bad day.