Evening friends.

I had to tackle the gambling issue which I have posted elsewhere because it was related to OCD and anxiety and a very poor "distraction" as I found out the hard way. It could have cost me a lot more than money - my marriage etc.

I've not had a bet for 15 months on anything including lottery tickets. My philosophy is "One day at a time". My "addiction" lasted for three years and I started to address it in February 2016.

Long-term tranquilliser dependency - ongoing but now down to 8mg a day from 40mg a year ago. The advice and support from people on this forum has been hugely important and appreciated in my ongoing journey as well as a great GP and my own determination and realisation I would have to deal with withdrawal symptoms.

Addressing inappropriate alcohol consumption as a temporary relief from anxiety and also a cause of "rebound anxiety".

Smoking - I'm a light smoker but I know it does not relieve anxiety and is something I will tackle at some point. Please friends don't beat yourself up if you still smoke....you can give up when the time is right for you as family members and friends have done and hopefully I will do.

All of the above are OCD related (in my life) but life is getting better daily with ups and downs. It's our 3rd wedding anniversary tomorrow and although my wife hasn't always understand "where I'm at" she is my best friend, beautiful inside and out and always someone I want to come home to and wake up next to.

Best wishes friends, Phil.

Thank you Roy - you have been a hugely supportive friend on this forum and if I'm in London again in the near future I would love to have a pint with you. Best wishes, Phil.

What a wonderful post PhilM, it's very inspirational to read and hopefully a good inspiration for all. You should be really proud on how far you've come and what you've achieved. 

I love how you described your wife and what she means to you,  it's something you don't hear people say very often. 

31 minutes ago, PhilM said:

:yes: Do you know the Shakespeare's Head (I think) near Victoria Station?

Not specifically, but the area itself I know well from nearby clients, and regularly using the station to get to my sister's in Croydon. 

At preparations (at my uncle's)  around 16 years ago for my mother's 80th birthday party, I mentioned that my wife is my best friend. 

My niece, then aged around 16/17 said your best friend cannot be your spouse!  I said nonsense - she was - and still is - my bestest ever friend. 

I believe you and I must be truly blessed in that regard Phil. 

It sounds like you've got a truly happy relationship PhilM and you think really highly of her it's lovely to see this, they always that there is that one special someone out there just made for you and it's looks like you've found your perfect match:)