how to quickly act when relapsing?

hi guys,

it has been some months since my last post but I could once again use some advice. I have been doing quite well the last half year to be honest but I'm strugging again since last weekend. I was hospitalized last June for ocd (phedophile obsessions) and was treated by specialized psychologists. I also received an official diagnosis of OCD from several psychologists. However, it does seem I'm close to relapsing again. I'm feeling very anxious in general and very down. I'm not really sure what the reason for this but it might have to do with summer coming closer again (last summer was hell) and I aso had quite a scare as my mum haD quite  a bad accident.

Anyway, I could really use some advice on how to tackle this and how to avoid getting worse again. I try to keep busy and to not be focused on OCD. I'm also trying not to perform compulsions as this has helped me out a lot in the past. I think I'm mainly still doubting the ocd thing which I believe many sufferers deal with.

Nicki

Hey Nicki, good to hear from you again.

Look, one of the things that OCD sufferers are notorious for doing is anticipating anxiety in the future; we assume we are going to have a bad time of it, and that makes us anxious. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. You think anxiety and sure enough, anxiety happens.

Slow down. Really, just slow down. Take care of yourself. Do your utmost to relax for some time every day. Do things you like doing. Try to take your mind off that impending sense of doom and put it on what you're doing right now. Have fun. Do some fun things. That will lift your spirits. Eat right and sleep right. Get some exercise. Be mindful of possible compulsions but don't be overly mindful; we don't want you thinking about everything you do to see if it's a compulsion. When you get negative thoughts that what you're going through isn't OCD, counter them with, "What do you know? It's OCD and that's all that's to it." Then shift your focus onto other things. Do not dwell over whether it's OCD or not. Leave it alone and get on with your day.

I got hospitalized last may and I too felt a bit anxious at this month coming, but it was okay. I was reminded a couple of times of it by the smell of the flowers, the rain, and the anticipation of summer. My advice to you is to accep what anxiety you have surronding this time of the year, and also accept that the hospitalization is in the past, it's gone. Of course you could be reminded of it, but those are mere memories to be accepted, but not dwelled on :) It's part of your history now and it's normal to remember about them, especially if the whether outside is the same. But that's all there is to it. Whatever anxiety comes in the future, be confident that you will deal with it, as you have done before. So there's no need to anticipate it.

Hi again, 

I tried  not to post agaîn as I know this can be a reassurance for me. However, although I do my best to keep doing what I normally do. I feel like ****.  It always comes back to the doubt whether it is OCD or not. I know i can never be Sure on this but how can i go back to start trusting it is again ?

Polar bear,

As an ex sufferer you probably dealt with this as well. How did you move forward? 

Nicki