Unsure about ERP - any other experiences?

Hi all, in case you don't know - I suffer from OCD, mainly in the form of intrusive thoughts. My (current) obsession revolves around losing control and cheating on my SO while drunk, my compulsions come in the form of memory checking (my biggest one), ruminating, and sometimes seeking reassurance. 

Anyway, my therapist and I have been writing up scripts with my biggest fears and reading them over and over and over again. I say them out loud and gauge my anxiety levels after each 5-10 minute session. 

My problem with this is, when I do my exercises, I don't feel anxiety when I say it out loud or write it down. I feel most of my anxiety when the thought randomly just pops up. What's up with that? Does that mean ERP may not work for my type of OCD, or is this pretty normal? Anyone else have experiences with this? Thanks :)

8 minutes ago, californiadreaming said:

Hey PolarBear, I find that when I do that, I start to conjure up a false memory. Couldn't that be more harmful?

I would suggest it's beneficial as false memories are part and parcel of your OCD. You need to expose yourself to them so as to learn to recognise and accept them for what they are. Harmless charlatans!