Anyone Care To Share Their "Lightbulb Moments"?

For many people, including me, a big one is getting a formal diagnosis of OCD. 

Lots of us think we are mad, so being told our OCD intrusions are not our thoughts and say nothing about us as a person is an incredibly uplifting moment. 

Whilst I am no medical professional and of course can't diagnose anyone, a friend in despair who confided in me had such a lightbulb moment when I told her I didn't think she was mad to constantly fear for the safety of her husband and seek constant reassurance he was alright - I said this is a common manifestation of OCD, so it seemed likely she was a sufferer, so should go seek a formal diagnosis. 

Lightbulb moments happen here on the forums quite a lot I think. 

Anyone like to share theirs? 

I've used this phrase in a previous post, so apologies. My lightbulb moment arrived when an old alcohol worker suggested that I stop describing the water I was drowning in and swim to shore. That was the first time I recognised that all my issues were my responsibility to resolve. Everything was somehow easy from then on. I stopped self-pitying and started counting my blessings. My mantra went from 'why me?' to 'why not me?'. Who am I to expect not to be affected by life's difficulties? I was born in a first world country to a family who could always afford to feed me. I always had shelter. I've been physically healthy predominately. I realised later than I should've done that I've actually won life's lottery!

2 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

My lightbulb moment arrived when an old alcohol worker suggested that I stop describing the water I was drowning in and swim to shore. 

That is a great analogy OceanDweller! 

My therapist B told me about the fork in the path ahead of me:

Take the left path and it led to compulsions, life restrictions, distress misery. 

Take the right path and it led to joy happiness freedom from OCD 's restrictions and falsehoods. 

Too many of us here have taken the left path and are stranded :(

Another cracker for me was discovering that if I undertake TWO involved beneficial activities at the same time. This seems to take up so much lifestyle focus that it eases me out of the obsessive thinking! 

5 hours ago, taurean said:

That is a great analogy OceanDweller! 

My therapist B told me about the fork in the path ahead of me:

Take the left path and it led to compulsions, life restrictions, distress misery. 

Take the right path and it led to joy happiness freedom from OCD 's restrictions and falsehoods. 

Too many of us here have taken the left path and are stranded :(

Another cracker for me was discovering that if I undertake TWO involved beneficial activities at the same time. This seems to take up so much lifestyle focus that it eases me out of the obsessive thinking! 

Thank you Roy. A similar analogy to the one you describe is used in addiction treatment. Apparently it takes 3 months for the pathways in the brain to automatically follow new routes. So if you choose to turn right towards the sanctuary of your home (instead of turning left towards the off-license or hostelry) after 3 months that becomes your automatic choice. That's the theory anyway!

I remember, nearly a decade ago now, the moment when it 'clicked' for me; these were just thoughts. I think I was walking up a hill and I was a few sessions into CBT with a very good psychologist who I wish was still active. It just all hit me; these were thoughts and they didn't matter.

As you know, I have these moments; but I'm a place where I understand the God I believe in knows my heart and knows my thoughts are not me. And that's okay. :) 

This is the key isn't it?

I think so many of us remain stuck, and our ERP fails to work, because we are still giving belief to those OCD thoughts. 

And if we are struggling with that regular problem of is it really OCD, then the way forward has to be to take the leap of faith that it is OCD, or it is most likely OCD - and not give meaning or belief to those thoughts. 

When we do learn to accept them as OCD, we begin to stop fearing them, begin to stop connecting with triggers the OCD scans to find, and we can work our ERP because the anxiety will fall when we realise we don't have anything to fear. And there becomes no reason to practice the unhelpful compulsion of avoidance. 

Ive learnt to say the f word to the ocd/depression. I find it very freeing now. At one time I would feel guilty for weeks for even thinking it. 

Its only recently that ive used this method. Some days it works, other days not so well.

We will all find our true path in our own time.

I don't think I personally would use that word, but I do think talking down to it from taking higher ground is a great method. 

Thoughts like "so what"  "nice try OCD but I am on to you"  are a good way of putting it down prior to refocusing. 

My therapist also taught me to be factual and not let OCD throw doubt uncertainty and awfulising at me. She said "turn" what if" into simply " what is " - Try it, it's brilliant and anchors us into reality and the present :)

My light bulb moment came when I finally forgave myself and chuck the whole lot of guilt, senseless ruminations over the hill.

I was freed from then on.

Edited by St Mike

Reading the book "Brainlock"  and wishing I had had access to this, and The Four Steps method contained within it, when the book was published twenty years earlier. 

I think mine was after being told by my current therapist that people can and do get better and many had achieved a full recovery. I had spent all these years living with this disorder never knowing that it was possible or achievable,  I'd never been offered cbt or erp and it gave me the hope and determination to give it my all and work hard to work towards it. It's never to late to make changes.

Very true lost. 

I read posts here where people explain their difficulty - and I understand what is going on and what they need to change, and we all start to help them. 

So I think, for many, their light bulb moment may well be finding our forum and the charity OCD-UK.