Major exposure - able to recognize it.

I had a major exposure last night where my SO and I got a little drunk and talked to people at the bar. My therapist actually said I should try this (responsibly) and see what happens if I'm comfortable doing so.

Anyway, had a lovely night and I was tipsy and fell asleep quick. I was happy because I recognized that yes, all my fears are indeed OCD and not real. I woke up at 3am in a cold sweat not remembering going to bed and OCD said, "Haha! Gotcha - what else did you forget? That guy was kinda creepy at the bar - maybe he took you to the bathroom!" 

Right away, I was able to recognize it. I just let the anxiety sit there without memory checking to prove it did or did not happen. My brain got loud and said, "nope, you HAVE to figure this out" and I sat there with the hot anxiety and redirected my thoughts to breathing exercises to go back to sleep.

I'm just going about my day today and journaling it to you guys is helping sort out my thoughts. The question is not worth answering because OCD will never be satisfied and I know that. I will try my best not to play its game today.

9 hours ago, californiadreaming said:

My brain got loud and said, "nope, you HAVE to figure this out" and I sat there with the hot anxiety and redirected my thoughts to breathing exercises to go back to sleep.

That has to be, without a doubt, one of the worst feelings in the world. I'm proud of you for resisting it, and I hope you continue to do so. One thing I'm learning to do is pick myself back up when I fail and give in to my anxiety, without giving in to the thoughts that tell me that it's hopeless and that I should just keep doing the compulsion/overthinking something because it's what "works". No, it doesn't work. Don't play its game! I hope you're doing something much more fun instead. :biggrin:

Edited by umbreon