medication again

When people post about how helpful medication has been (usually anti-depressants?) I am so happy for them.

The other side of the coin as I see it (personal perspective) what if we wait for the medication to kick in (usually weeks to build up in our system) and really, really hoping it is going to help...and it doesn't? How do we deal with that disappointment and move on?

I've read a few threads (with no judgement) were OCD sufferers are so desperate for the medication to help and kind of waiting for something to happen - I've been there in the last 20+ years believe me.  

Now I'm not against medication in anyway whatsoever but I was described an A-Z of medications ranging from anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and even beta-blockers with no impact on my OCD.

My point is again from a personal and sensitive perspective that if the meds help - brilliant - but I now know they are not a panacea for me.

Best wishes, your friend, Phil.

I have been on my own journey with SSRI medication 

Tried Citalopram originally, couldn't cope with the side effects. 

Tried Prozac under guidance from my psychiatrist - but it turned me into a zombie. 

Later I tried Citalopram again, waiting a few weeks on just 10mg with some supporting medication from the doctor to counter the diarrhoea side effect - and managed to acclimatise and then get up to 20mg. 

Effect on my mood - works brilliantly on that, except if I am experiencing bad OCD and anxiety, when it doesn't work. 

So no direct gain on the OCD, but helpful in maintaining mood and to engage with therapy. 

That's why I think, collectively, we are quite conservative in voicing opinions about what meds will do for any person. I found the right cocktail that worked stupendous for my malaise (plural) but most only see a reduction in overall anxiety.

We must be cautious to lower expectations of those who think it's the be-all, end-all.

I've definitely received what I put into my medication (Luvox) experience: went into it thinking that I had nothing to lose, and I got a little bit of help in return and was/still am pleasantly surprised. Of course, this is considering the fact that my OCD interferes with a large portion of my life, so "a little" help is still substantial.

However, I've had to do an exhausting amount of work to get through the side effects while trying to stay mindful. Luvox definitely doesn't reduce my number of intrusive thoughts (I'll admit-- I was excited for that one :whistling:) but it DOES make it so much easier to cope with them in the moment, and to disengage. Which, honestly, is more than I could have asked for. Medication + CBT has been a great combination, but I think CBT works just as well, whereas I don't think I'd be doing very well on just Luvox alone. Some temporary help is nice though, and that's how I view my medication.