Afraid of food and medicine

Hello,

I wondered if anyone can relate to the problem I have, please? I just need to know I can get better. I know it might take a while but to hear from someone who might have the same thing or similar, would seem a comfort.

I have recently been diagnosed by a psychiatrist with OCD brought on through trauma. I have had OCD (mainly mental rituals to prevent stuff happening) many years but over the past couple of years and after more upset/stress in my personal life, it has steadily got worse. I find myself afraid of taking any medicines or even eating most foods now, in case I get an allergic reaction. I know, it's silly. (I do have a food allergy but it never used to be more of a concern than it need be to me). Even typing this is difficult because "confessing" it is hard.

I want so much to eat and to be relaxed. I want to eat and enjoy it and relax but I panic. I am waiting for treatment (CBT) but with waiting lists as they are, this could take a while to begin. I just need to know this can get better. I have a daughter and I don't want to affect her with my fears. I am trying my best but it would help to know this can be cured. Thank you for your time.

Hi HJC. You cam get better from any kind of OCD. There's no such thing as untreatable firms of the disorder. You must be willing to do rhe hard work necessary to recover but recovery is certainly possible.

Thank you. I so much want to get better. I want to put the work in to do it. It's just the waiting to get the diagnosis and now the help has been so long. I suppose I just needed reassurance, so thank you for your reply.

I have these worries to an extent. I've found the only thing to do is challenge yourself all the time basically. So if you worry about getting an allergic reaction from a certain food then eat it and don't avoid it. Keep eating it again and again until you learn not to fear it anymore. The same with medication too.

Thank you Lynz. I am trying to do this but admit I find it hard because of the panic it causes but I tell myself that even if I just had the smallest amount, that is a step forward. You are right. I cannot give in to this. Thank you and all the best to you.