Any advice on repetitive thoughts?

Hi all, sorry if this post becomes lengthy, I will try to keep it as short as possible, 

for the past 3 years I have suffered with repetitive thoughts, now it is dibilitating and I can not carry on with life normally as I waste so much time repeating thoughts either in my head or out loud when alone. They always are silly things, the biggest trigger is a change in routine, I repeat over and over what I will be doing and what I have to do, and I have to repeat these phrases 4 times, sometimes it takes some time as there is usually a few different things I repeat at once, I don't know why I do it I don't have any bad thoughts that will happen if I don't, just the fear of forgetting what I have to do, I tried writing down my thoughts but it doesn't help I either check my notes or repeat the phrase 'everything is written down so don't worry' I start to doubt it's written down so check again and again anyway. It's really silly things but I can't stop, it changes daily and sometimes the previous days repetive phrase carry on through to the next day. For example, today's one is rather long, it is 

" I have payed all my bills this week nothing to pay, make sure you do your workouts everyday, in Tesco I bought an air freshener and a scratch card but I didn't wash my car because it didn't need washed " 

usually during the week it is something releating  to my work or any appointments I may have, and these phrases can be about anything, and I repeat them 4 times each time over 100 times each day. I have been to the doctor twice and the last time they told me it sounds like OCD but they weren't ready to 'stick a label on me yet' and hav reffered me for counselling which I am still to receive the letters for. I need help, what used to be my downtime and time to relax has now turned into this and I cannot relax or unwind anymore. I understand there's no need to repeat or even remember these things I just cannot stop and I feel out of control until I say it and it only helps for 5 minutes till I need to say it again. Anybody able to offer any advice? Thanks so much in advance. Sam. 

Hi Sam and welcome to the forum.

Sure sounds like OCD to me. All the repeating and checking you do are compulsions and they need to stop. Have you looked into Cognitive Behavioural Therapy? 

Hi, yes I have heard of that but my doctor doesn't think it nessesary till I have tried counselling, do you think it would help based on my symptoms? It's not just the repeating phrases although that is the worst and most time consuming symptom, before I leave the house and before bed I have to check plug sockets especially the tumble dryer. I also have to try a locked door 8 times before leaving to make sure it's locked. Thank you for replying. 

39 minutes ago, xxsammiexx said:

my doctor doesn't think it nessesary till I have tried counselling

Any doctor in this day and age that thinks counselling is more appropriate for your symptoms than CBT is out of touch with modern medicine. 

Ask him/her why he thinks counselling will help when all the evidence based research supports CBT. Is it because he/she has access to a practice counsellor but not to CBT services? Or maybe your doctor is ill-informed and thinks counselling is some kind of CBT! 

Check that the 'counsellor' you're being referred to is CBT accredited. If not you're only delaying getting the help you really need. 

I have the same....in fact that is my main ocd...repeating things in a certain order in my head.....one thought can ruin the order and i have to start all over again......few minutes relief then back to square one.......got so tired one day I realised no one can see inside my head....not even me....so just let my head go absolutely empty for  a few seconds...seconds led to minutes. ..then to hours...I still get the compulsion to have these thoughts in order ( and they're all horrible thoughts) but have a massive relief to be able to stop them in their tracks.....even if it's for minutes. ...and those minutes turn to hours ......

Hi Tulsas 

its comforting and also horrible to know that I am not alone with this type of OCD I wouldn't wish anyone to have this type of loss of control I'm sorry to hear you have it too. I only just learned yesterday what I do is called ruminating so I am researching coping techniques for that at the moment. I hope you manage to  keep your thoughts under better control by letting your mind empty.