Hello,

My name is Matt and I am not having much luck with my GP so I thought I'd come onto these forums for some advice, I am new to these boards. I have been diagnosed with OCD and have suffered from it since I was 12yo (now 38yo). My OCD has morphed into new types if that makes sense, when I've beaten one crisis - another seems to pop up. It's really given me a hard time and due to my medication and stress eating, I'm fighting a weight problem too. I have a hard time identifying the OCD sometimes.

I suppose I want to know if these thoughts I'm having are OCD related or not, they are causing me great distress. I keep having thoughts that my time may be up soon, because of my weight. I am on a quite successful diet and have been shedding pounds but I've got about a year before I am at the weight I want to be. I have intrusive thoughts pop into my head like "Don't worry, you did quite well but it's almost time" and "You have been quite lucky to make it this far". It is causing me distress because I can't figure out if it's my natural cognition or my mental illness.

Can anyone that is knowledgeable on "changing" OCD please advise? Thank you I'd be very grateful.  

Edited by Matticus324

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum.

OCD can latch onto any thought, concept or idea and make a big deal out of it. You wouldn't purposefully conjure up thoughts that caused you distress so these are being forced upon you. That's OCD.

Treat these thoughts as you would any other intrusive thought. Ignore them make them irrelevant. Don't sit there and analyze the thoughts, trying to figure out if they're true or not. Leave them alone. It's just OCD messing with you.