Medication that works

Hi, for the last 15 ish years I have taken Sertraline anything from 50mg every other day (when I had a period of doing well, around 2years) up to 200mg when not doing too well.

What medications do you use? Is there anything you have found really works?

Thanks

Vicki

The Citalopram I an on works ( when I am not in a bad OCD anxiety state)  to keep my mood up and help me keep up my necessary exposure and behavioural work. Effectively it helps me engage with my therapy. 

It also has helped me understand that it really is understanding how my thinking is distorted by OCD, and how I respond to that, that matters - not the medication I take. 

Hi at the minute I am on 45mg mirtzipine but I am on this dose for 6 weeks now and am finding it has started to work on my thoughts but is totally wiping me out during the day. My other option is sertraline which I am strongly thinking if trying. I was on citalopram for about 4 years but it became ineffective.  I would love some encouragement about medication also as I feel I need it to get on top of my OCD. 

23 hours ago, taurean said:

It also has helped me understand that it really is understanding how my thinking is distorted by OCD, and how I respond to that, that matters - not the medication I take. 

I think this is more important than whether or not a medication may be helpful. 

Understanding how OCD works, how it sucks us in, fools us, exaggerates and encourages us to catastrophise is most important. 

Then when we can simply see intrusions for what they are and ease them away, and without the downside effects of medication, is real therapy. 

I just wanted to say that it really upsets me when someone (or me!) asks something and another person posts to say (for example) that they don't think the person should be asking what they have asked / that they think they should be asking something else.  If I or someone else posts something that we'd like to ask other users if they can help, I think it would be more respectful if the forum allows people to put a question / request for help out there and for people who feel they can answer to do so. My personal experience is that a few frequent users effectively tell others that their question is somehow or other not a valid or worthwhile one, which for me isn't the type of response which I'm hoping for when I post!

1 minute ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

which for me isn't the type of response which I'm hoping for when I post!

Our forum is here to give the best possible advice that will help someone overcome their OCD, even if not what the poster wants to hear.   We're not here just to be a forum so that users can be told what they want to hear (plenty of other OCD forums and social media offer that!)

In terms of medication, as already mentioned there is no one medication that will work for everyone, and in fact medication is not the 'answer' for OCD. It's a tool which may help, but it's not the full treatment solution.

I don't really like the way that (in my opinion / experience) some users seem to have a habit of pontificating about the right way to think about things.  It would be my preference, if  people feel qualified to do that, if they would include whether their response is based upon clinical / professional standing or if it's just their personal opinion.  I think that if people's replies to comments are their personal opinion / personal advice rather than professional guidance, then we should respect other forum users' wish to find things out, not to be told that they shouldn't be asking what they want to know.  If someone asks a fairly open question then I don't think that others should be making judgements about what the questioner "wants to hear" - I think we should recognise that some things are new and confusing, and that some people want to reach out to others in a similar situation for help when they are struggling.  I'm just more in favour of a positive approach / open dialogue because that for me would improve my experience of the forum.

I think that if people's replies to comments are their personal opinion / personal advice rather than professional guidance, then we should respect other forum users' wish to find things out, not to be told that they shouldn't be asking what they want to know. 

The forum is community led, so every single post is based on opinion rather than professional guidance.

The forum's approach has always been the same, and I don't intend to ask my volunteers to change how they work.  If someone posts asking which is the best medication, we would not be doing our job if we did not comment that a) there is no one medication that is the best and b) that medication is not the main treatment for OCD.   That's not to say other's can't post what worked for them, but we MUST put those disclaimers out there for new users.

As mentioned before, we are not here to tell users what they want to hear, of course we will answer, but our role is to try and guide them and advise them of the best information to help them work towards recovery, even if it's not always welcomed advice.  Of course, people can choose if they want to listen to what we say or not.  

But we've been doing this a long time, and I would suggest most of the time we get the balance right. 

I personally do not pontificate. I speak from experience, in dealing with hundreds of OCD sufferers and being a sufferer for forty years who recovered fully from the disorder. I would be doing a disservice to a sufferer if I did not point out that asking what meds work best is pointless, as I did above.

Guest David green
On 6/11/2017 at 12:03, Karen campbell said:

Hi at the minute I am on 45mg mirtzipine but I am on this dose for 6 weeks now and am finding it has started to work on my thoughts but is totally wiping me out during the day. My other option is sertraline which I am strongly thinking if trying. I was on citalopram for about 4 years but it became ineffective.  I would love some encouragement about medication also as I feel I need it to get on top of my OCD. 

Im on mirtazapine 30mg its been taking my energy away i thought it was because i was also coming off venlafaxine.

Guest David green
On 6/14/2017 at 17:19, seekingERPnorthwest said:

I don't really like the way that (in my opinion / experience) some users seem to have a habit of pontificating about the right way to think about things.  It would be my preference, if  people feel qualified to do that, if they would include whether their response is based upon clinical / professional standing or if it's just their personal opinion.  I think that if people's replies to comments are their personal opinion / personal advice rather than professional guidance, then we should respect other forum users' wish to find things out, not to be told that they shouldn't be asking what they want to know.  If someone asks a fairly open question then I don't think that others should be making judgements about what the questioner "wants to hear" - I think we should recognise that some things are new and confusing, and that some people want to reach out to others in a similar situation for help when they are struggling.  I'm just more in favour of a positive approach / open dialogue because that for me would improve my experience of the forum.

I do feel where your coming from as ive felt the same when i wasnt in a good place yeah i know i was posting a lot then someone had to tell ashley then my posts are getting merged like i ment nothing.No worries seekingERPnorthwest