Hi,

I have come to the conclusion that I need to get help for my ocd.

I have been to the doctor and I am on a waiting list but it is taking a long time.

Please could somebody suggest ways in which they have been able to get help other than the nhs.

I think I need cbt so I am thinking about either counselling or self help books.

Thank you.

Edited by zx123
23 minutes ago, zx123 said:

I think I need cbt so I am thinking about either counselling or self help books.

Hi,

I don't understand this.  You do know counselling is nothing like CBT don't you?

24 minutes ago, zx123 said:

Please could somebody suggest ways in which they have been able to get help other than the nhs.

Self-help books can be helpful for sure, the only other non NHS way to get treatment is to pay for it privately, but even then it's important to access therapy from the right therapist.

I have had cbt in the past for a different issue and it seemed quite similar to counselling to me.

I saw the four steps by Dr Jeffrey Schwartz on the ocd uk website and I have decided that I am going to try to incorporate those

principles and see if they work for me.

I am having CBT and it is very different to counselling. have you read Break free from CBT.? My therapist recommends that.

Push for CBT. I am not yet in recovery but can see the way forward at last.