This may be a silly one, but I am asking to see whether I am the only person...I have recently given up coffee, because much as I love it it makes my OCD LOTS worse. Is this the adrenaline thing?? Anyone know why or have a similar thing? I'm on camomile tea now. I am not brilliant, but better than when I was on the coffee! I also wonder about my pill sometimes too to be honest, because on my week break I feel less OCD and ruinate less, seem more able to let things go rather than pursuing my thoughts down endless rabbit holes.... 

It's not silly at all, I can relate to this too! I gave up caffeine 4 years ago. It's a stimulant and activates the fight or flight response and exacerbates anxiety. If I have some at someone's house as a one off, I'm really bad. It's a great move cutting it out. Hormones also play a massive part for me too. I can't comment as such on the pill, but when I am due on my period and during, my symptoms are so much worse. I went on the pill about 8 years ago for a month and my anxiety went through the roof, so I came straight off.

I asked a question about hormones when I first joined the forum and I was told that many women report that their OCD symptoms are affected by their menstrual cycle. 

Hi there, have you considered trying a decaffeinated coffee? The only reason I ask is because I try to avoid drinking caffeine as well since it is known for spiking anxiety, which I still struggle with because I love tea so much. I drink a lot of caffeine-free tea, and recently picked up some decaffeinated coffee. I have yet to try it but hopefully it's enjoyable ?

6 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

Is the title of this thread not also the title of a 1999 hit parade-making ditty by mockney Britpoppers Blur?!

Ha! Its very similar but there's is Coffee and TV.

14 hours ago, va2998 said:

Hi there, have you considered trying a decaffeinated coffee? The only reason I ask is because I try to avoid drinking caffeine as well since it is known for spiking anxiety, which I still struggle with because I love tea so much. I drink a lot of caffeine-free tea, and recently picked up some decaffeinated coffee. I have yet to try it but hopefully it's enjoyable ?

Oh yes, have decaf coffee all the time. It's great!  Hope you enjoy yours ☕️

If only I was that witty! :-D 

I am now on the herbal teas and drinking the odd lucozade pretending that I don't know it has caffein in it. The effect for me of anything more than one small coffee is really extreme. I can go from feeling ok to being intensely paranoid. It's a shame as it also makes me really buzzy which I love...but yeh you're all right. Decaff it is. 

Peppermint tea is gorgeous.

Decaf coffee is a different flavour but you soon get used to it. For 3 months in Germany in 1970 I worked at a factory which made it! 

I have to drink a lot of fluid to keep hydrated and help my kidneys which have 3 stones in them. I enjoy water but I enjoy squash even more so drink a lot of both plus it's good for me anyway (the squash is "no added sugar!"). 

Yes, regular coffee makes me more anxious in general and gives me heart palpitations. The caffeine levels in tea are better tolerated by my body. I usually take green or jasmine tea, plain and simple, just tea leaves and hot water. 

In AM, cortisol, the stress hormone is high, serotonin is low. Most drink coffee in AM, right? So that would just add to this complex hormone mix.  I think that you could just try to not drink coffee for a couple weeks, get through side effects & see how you feel. It took me 6 months tho.