OCD out of control

I have had OCD for a few years now and it's getting out of hand. It's stopping me from progressing in my career and causes me a lot of stress in the morning. Mine involves checking things are turned off and locking doors. It's now at a point where I take pictures of everything when I've turned them off and my hands are blistering and bleeding when I lock the door from checking that much. I've seen a GP and was handed a print out of a website. 

You must be really pounding the door to check that it is locked. When I had this I had the anxious feeling that I had broken the lock through repeated shoves and pushes against the door. So I had the double fear of not locking the door together with breaking the door. I think that taking pictures is escalating matters - you are creating a new set of compulsions which can become quite complicated rituals.

Have you received a diagnosis? And have you had therapy? If your in England you can self refer via the IAPT process. Details are contained on this site. But you are doing well in maintaining a job despite the compulsions. I guess that you must be getting up especially early to do the compulsions. See another GP and see if things improve with another person. Self refer for CBT. Best Wishes.

When I doing pretty much the same thing, it would take me forever to get out of the house.  Don't take pictures, I tried it and it just fed the OCD more.  Medication helped me but also forcefully and gradually reducing how many times I checked things and even leaving certain objects out when I did.  I also discovered that stress and anxiety about other things (especially work) were aiding the checking compulsions.  

Yeah you're both right, taking pictures isn't making any difference it's just another routine that I have to do. Yeah I basically check the door till my hand hurts then that takes over the feeling of having to check the door again, it's getting to a point where my hands are really sore and they've left marks :(. If I open up to 'friends' they laugh and say it's stupid I get embarrassed. It's takes me about 25 mins to check everything a million times it's literally the only unnecessary stress in my life. 

I havent been back to see a GP after I was handed the print out. I try to self manage it and sometimes I have control but I agree if I have other things going on in my life it makes it worse. 

Thank you for your replies it means the world to me. X