We have to stop ruminating

Just a quick post today to say that I had a distressing intrusive thought this morning after a trigger on my phones news feed. It's something that I was worrying about a couple of days ago and I had been good then and not dwelled too much and it went. But, with the trigger, it reared its ugly head this morning.

I ruminated loads this morning and I started to believe it and became very anxious. Luckily, I had the strength to stop and the anxiety and fear is decreasing now. 

I know I did the wrong thing by ruminating and I feel better now that I've become busy and made the decision to stop.

Its helping writing on here too. 

We must not let the OCD in! 

?

Totally agree. Rumination is the number one compulsion that feeds OCD and depression. We have to cut it out as soon as we recognise we are doing it. It wants you to believe its a friend that will help you out, when in fact its the total opposite. Well done. 

Edited by Lish

Thank you Lish.

You are so right, it does want you to believe it's a friend, but in fact it is the complete opposite. That's so helped you saying that. What a great way of describing it. Thank you. 

Guest Nikki79

Great post Emsie and I am in the same boat as you and accepting we must not ruminate no matter how strong the urge. The same happened to me aswell in that I was fine and then it reared its ugly head again but I will fight again. We can accept we are having the thought but we don't have to accept what the thought is telling us. Even if it feels true it doesn't mean it is.

Thank you Nikki. I'm sorry the same has happened to you, but you will fight it Nikki. 

You are so right, great advice, we don't have to accept what it's telling us and it doesn't mean it's true. OCD lies! 

I have to be honest, I had a relapse after my post and did some more ruminating and other checking compulsions, namely googling, but am now back on track, had the strength again to stop, dismiss it as OCD lies and anxiety is now fading and it isn't feeling true now. Feel much more positive and motivated.

We can't let OCD in and take root! 

Emsie, it will happen sometimes.  I still catch myself ruminating sometimes and I may have been doing it for say 20 minutes before I even know I've been ruminating. That's how sneaky it is. But we need to stop ourselves.

Repetition of this will make us happier in the long turn and diminish our OCD! I know for a fact I'm ready to live a life outside of OCD's clutches now!

Well done for your effort. Keep it up!

Edited by Lish

Thank you Lish! 

Thats amazing news that you're ready to live a life outside of OCDs clutches! A huge well done! That's so wonderful! ?

Thank you, I will keep it up! 

Guest Nikki79

Hi Emsie don't worry I have stumbled and got up again today also. We can't be perfect but it is important to remain positive, this helps I think.

Guest Nikki79
3 hours ago, Emsie said:

Thank you Nikki. Well done for getting up again today. Yes, we need to remain positive. ?

Thanks Emsie its a fight but we can win it cos not one person in this forum is anything other than deserving of that x

Hi there, yesterday evening taurean posted a fantastic post defining ruminating and ways of stopping. It's called 'help to stop ruminating'. It's a great description of what ruminating is. I hope it helps.