When your OCD is socially unacceptable.

I was having a conversation with a trusted friend about my POCD and said that its probably the worst one that someone could have.  She agreed that its probably the most socially unacceptable one someone could have.  I thought about it and realized that this has been one of my main fears, that because the topic is so reviled that if it ever got out that I suffer from this particular brand that it might be misconstrued and I would be socially isolated, hated or investigated.  My family members know but its one of the things keeping me from work, the fear that it might get out or that someone might pick up on it accidentally. Any thoughts about this or anyone else with similar fears?  

I feared that for, oh, about 35 years. The worry is hogwash for the most part. You are right, it is perceived poorly by some others.

I won't kid you. Several people have been reported to police by a health practitioner not schooled in OCD. It does happen, though rarely. I myself went through he'll because of my pedophile obsessions and resulting compulsions.

It is wise to limit who you tell the exact nature of your obsessions. Me, I wrote a book about it, am willing to talk about it openly to anyone and could care less if someone thinks poorly of me. Not everyone is in the same boat as me.

Practically, you needn't fret about people accidentally finding out and calling the cops. First I'm sure you're careful how you communicate your obsessions and secondly, you can't be jailed for having thoughts.

On 7/6/2017 at 10:35, Zazoo said:

Any thoughts about this or anyone else with similar fears?  

A lot of people! This is an extremely common theme in OCD as are other obsessions about being sexually attracted to xyz.  I'd say it's one of the lesser talked about ones because I know from personal experience how hard it is to open up even to professionals about it.  Even though it is so common within the disorder.  

I definitely had the fear that if I really opened up about all my intrusive thoughts and fears, the psychologist would misinterpret them.  I never fully gave the full story to be honest but once I'd opened up a bit I did kind of see that, actually, this isn't shocking to them, they've heard it all before.  It just feels like such a terrible burden when you're dealing with it alone!