Hi,

I know I've been posting a lot lately and I'm sorry for that.

One thing I wanted to ask was what is everyone's opinion of the book Brain lock by Dr Jeffrey Schwarz?

I have found it quite helpful for dealing with my obsessive thoughts but I have read that some people consider it to be 

inferior to actual cbt therapy.

Please could people give me their feedback on this, so that I can decide whether to just use the book or try to get CBT therapy.

It's probably best to remember that Jeffrey Schwartz used it as an add-on to CBT. 

We still need to understand how OCD works, why we need to change our behavioural response and how to do that. 

This is what CBT provides, and  the understanding and tools it brings are invaluable. 

Brain lock is an okay book, but I must say I have read better.

He has the 4 steps spot on, but like Taurean said it's important to know how OCD works. I know Jeffery Schwartz uses a lot of examples however he doesn't really go in to detail about the actual condition and what it does.

Thanks for the replies,

So would you say that it is a good idea to do cbt in preference to the book or alongside it?

Hi Lish, you said that Jeffery Schwartz has the four steps spot on, so would you say it is a good idea to carry on trying to follow this principle?

I was referred for cbt by my doctor but so far I haven't heard anything, so I was thinking I might try to see a private counsellor.

I disagree about knowing why OCD works, its a bit like asking a drug addict to understand how the chemicals affect the body...its rather irrelivent in their recovery.

For me Brain Lock has been by far the most valuable tool in my recovery, the 4 steps somehow clicked for me and whilst I am having a rougher time now I've listened to the audiobook for a few hours and already feel on a more even keel.

E

Hi zx123 I think it would be good for you to be open minded and consider all options. Therapy works differently for everyone. One thing that works for me may not work for you. Be vigilant as much as you can with your treatment, but consider proven research - CBT is very good for treating OCD. Although I don't see it as a negative for you to try and support yourself using the four steps. It might be worth contacting your GP to chase up that referral and/or ask them for a recommendation for a private CBT therapist if that's what you need. Counseling is not the same and for me, I don't need to sit around and talk to someone about my OCD, I need someone who can advise me how to change the ways my brain thinks... which is via CBT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I would practice the 4 steps.

The refocus method he uses is indeed the one that forces our OCD to diminish. He also mentions that you have to out smart the OCD to get back in control.

Also I would recommend pulling the trigger by Adam Shaw. He mentions in his method that the best way to control it is not to try and control it! Welcome it in, but don't ruminate, and get on with your day. Over time, your anxiety fades because you are telling it that you aren't scared any more and it's no longer a threat to you. It is hard but facing it head on has its ways of making us better in the long run. This is what I practised as well as the 4 steps of brain lock. Thsee are the books that helped me the most to my recovery. All the best!

Edited by Lish