I think I'm relapsing and I'm terrified, I am having massive, extreme anxiety about collapsing as I've been feeling so ill lately. Truth is I am so dizzy and off balance, my muscles are twitching and my feet and hands keep getting pins and needles and numbness, I've been running to the doctors on and off about this problem as it comes and goes for weeks at a time, doc said blood pressure was in the low range and to come off beta-blocker, I have a home bp monitor and my blood pressure is absolutely fine. I'm afraid the doctors are palming me off all the time, and that something's seriously wrong with me, I get blurred vision too. I'm actually just arrived on my holidays, the place is beautiful but I couldn't even go for food with my family or out to do a food shop with my partner because my anxiety is sky high, I have been shaking like a leaf on the inside all day, my hearts racing and I feel very light headed. I don't know what to do, I am freaking out. 

I think the best thing you can do is bring down your anxiety. You seem to be catastrophizing about your symptoms which is something I was doing a few weeks ago when I had loads and didn't understand them. Most importantly now though is bringing anxiety down, because if you have symptoms the anxiety will be definitely making them worse or may be the cause in itself. 

Try some slow breathing and relaxation. I tried inhaling and on the exhale humming. It gives you a different sensation to focus on other than heart beat or pains/numbness. 

Edited by Gemma7

Thank u Gemma, I really have been trying all day, I am usually great at saying this is just anxiety, unpleasant but harmless and getting on with things, but because I don't think my initial symptoms are anxiety I can't relax, but definitely anxiety is exacerbating the problem right now. Vicious circle. I have not had one single day of anxiety for ages now, this is just a massive shock to me right now and bloody perfect timing too, my wee ones all worried about me and he shouldn't be because it's our holiday. I am so upset. I am trying to use breathing techniques, thank u xxx

You sound a bit like me a few weeks ago, I was handling anxiety as normal and then the next thing, I was having a panic attack. It turned out it was a combination of lots of things for me coming together, I'd never had a full panic attack before that. 

Put your symptoms down to something that is likely not to harm you and nothing serious and if relaxation isn't helping, try to get out or do something you enjoy that makes you laugh. I know that's asking a lot but it's worth a go. Have a good holiday and go get lots of hugs off your little ones, here's one from me:hug:

Hi Wonderer, 

I totally agree with Gemma. 

OCD links to my health so I can totally empathise. I too catastrophise anything to do with my body. I find breathing properly really helps because I don't breathe properly when I'm anxious. For mindfulness, I say to myself 'anxiety in' when inhaling and 'peace out' when exhaling. 

Its great that it's beautiful where you are, maybe try to go for a mindful walk. 

Sending you a big hug and I hope your anxiety goes really soon. Wishing you a lovely holiday with your family. X

Edited by Emsie

Thanks guys, is like to write a longer reply but I'm all fingers and thumbs, I am trying to tell myself that I am well and if I faint well so what but it's still scaring me ?. I will try all the suggestions above, and try to enjoy my holiday, I suppose I can take it easy tonight and face it head on tomorrow. Thank u xx

Hi wonderer, really sorry to hear you are struggling right now. I've had panic attacks and anxiety quite bad at times and unfortunately they do cause physical symptoms too. Unfortunately the more anxious we become the worse the symptoms appear to be. What I find best to do at times like these is something interactive same as Gemma said maybe go for a walk with your family and focus on them enjoying themselves, usually after a while you notice the shakes and pins and needles tend to disappear, the shakes I think are caused by our anxiety and the pins and needles are because we tend to sit tensely because we are afraid and anxious. It's better to be with someone than alone because that tends to make us more anxious and brings on these awful physical symptoms. Take nice slow deep breaths until you feel calm again and then these symptoms should subside. 

Thinking of you and hope you are feeling better soon, ready to enjoy your holiday with your family. 

Lost xx

Hi Wonderer. I too am in the throes of an especially anxious period. Racing, crazed thoughts, an almost insufferable fear of losing control, teetering on the edge of what must surely be madness! My mind is trying to have me off, convincing me that I've never experienced anything like this before. That this is the occasion upon which the sky finally falls down on me. But I'm predicting that, like all the other times I have in reality felt this way, nothing devastating will happen. It will pass, as all things do. And I'll be as right as rain again. And, I'll wager, so will you. It's just anxiety. Don't be duped into thinking it's anything more disconcerting.

So sorry to hear your struggling too OceanDweller, but your totally right it will pass :yes: 

Anxiety isn't very pleasant when your in the throws of it, but it does eventually disperse :)

Both of you have been towers of support and advice when a lot of us other sufferers have been where you are now, think about the advice you gave us at these times and this will help you see this through :yes:

Wishing you all the best and hope you feel better soon 

lost :)

8 minutes ago, lostinme said:

So sorry to hear your struggling too OceanDweller, but your totally right it will pass :yes: 

Anxiety isn't very pleasant when your in the throws of it, but it does eventually disperse :)

Both of you have been towers of support and advice when a lot of us other sufferers have been where you are now, think about the advice you gave us at these times and this will help you see this through :yes:

Wishing you all the best and hope you feel better soon 

lost :)

Bless you lost. Thank you. It might sound contradictory, but anxiety doesn't worry me much anymore. I have its number!

7 hours ago, OceanDweller said:

It might sound contradictory, but anxiety doesn't worry me much anymore. I have its number!

Have you got any particular tip you might share with the boys and girls OD?  Any particular strategy that has helped you to get anxiety's number? 

Hi Wonderer,

I am really sorry to hear your struggling, i hope your in a better state than yesterday. In my earliest of OCD themes health was one of the worries.(as indeed it is now from time to time) I know how you feel in terms of keeping things in perspective when it comes to health and  OCD concerns. All i can suggest is try and think back to your recent CBT and how great your therapist was and the fact they and many others on here believe in you and the techniques you have acquired. I think you are stronger and better equipped than you give yourself credit for.

Hang in there and enjoy your holiday.

I always find music helps me to switch off if I just immerse myself in it, so you could try that. :)

But like others said your in such a wonderful place, nature and peace is always helpful, as well as some loving hugs. 

Hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday and take the best from it :)

I had that dizziness to wonderer. ..loss of balance of and on....did my anxiety no good...BUT it turned out to be labrynthitis. ..a liquid  imbalance in the ear...

Edited by Tulsas
13 hours ago, taurean said:

Have you got any particular tip you might share with the boys and girls OD?  Any particular strategy that has helped you to get anxiety's number? 

Hi Roy. This might sound overly-simplistic, but for me it really is just a case of recognising irrational anxiety for what it is, and nothing more. I guess it's accepting that whatever will be will be, and fretting will serve no purpose. Does that make any sense?!

I am a little late with this post Wonderer. I do hope you are doing better by now. Firstly, please don't be too hard on yourself, OCD doesn't vanish overnight and it will try it's best to reclaim lost ground from people recovering. For me, my default mode is always to focus on the breath when I feel too angry, sad or anxious.

Many of us tend to forget the lessons we have learnt about countering anger, sadness, anxiousness or any extreme emotion when it hits us. I think it is normal perhaps due to what evolution has done to our instinctive "fight or flight" responses. As what the other kind and thoughtful members have said, deep breathing, focusing on the breath can help to bring the anxiety down to manageable levels. Thereafter, you can apply the lessons you have learnt with your CBT to bring you back to the right frame of mind.

As always, remember you have a great bunch of friends and forum members supporting you. Take care and enjoy your holidays. 

Hi everyone, so sorry for the late reply, thanks to each and everyone of u who took the time to reply to me with ur kind words and great advice, I have had a horrible few days and have barely left my apartment, except to go for a few drives as I feel safe in the car. My partner is being amazing and taken the kids out to do lots of fun things, my mum rang me today and was quite hard on me, but I know everything she is saying is true, that I must push on despite this, but I'm severely overwhelmed right now so finding it difficult to put my CBT tools into good use. I caved and texted my therapist today and he's told me to give him a call tomorrow, it will be 5wks tomorrow since I was discharged and I'm annoyed at myself for having to get in touch with him again so soon. It's extremely hot here at the moment and that's exacerbating my symptoms so I can't wait for the weather to break tomorrow. My youngest son who has autism wants to go home, he doesn't do well with holidays and he's had enough, it would be so easy for me to use him as an excuse to get back home but I'm not going to. Thanks again everyone, I really am grateful for all your support!xxx

Sorry to hear your still struggling wonderer and finding things hard. It's good you've got your therapists number and hopefully he will be able to help you tomorrow. Don't be so hard on yourself for needing a little help, we all need it from time to time. 

Hope you start to feel better soon and get to enjoy some of your holiday :yes:

Best wishes 

lost xx

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

Sorry to hear your still struggling wonderer and finding things hard. It's good you've got your therapists number and hopefully he will be able to help you tomorrow. Don't be so hard on yourself for needing a little help, we all need it from time to time. 

Hope you start to feel better soon and get to enjoy some of your holiday :yes:

Best wishes 

lost xx

Hi lovely, thank u so much ❤️ I managed to go out this evening for 1.5hrs which was a big improvement lol, I sat on the grass and watched my boys playing football and then went into the park for a bit, I didn't join in like I usually would as it was hard enough just being there but I just wanted to be there and I managed that. I have been having intrusive thoughts about past events today and a huge urge to confess, trying not to though. Will speak to my therapist tomorrow and take it from there, hope this is just a little blip, I was a million miles from this state just a couple of weeks ago! How are u doing Hun? Xx

53 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Hi lovely, thank u so much ❤️ I managed to go out this evening for 1.5hrs which was a big improvement lol, I sat on the grass and watched my boys playing football and then went into the park for a bit, I didn't join in like I usually would as it was hard enough just being there but I just wanted to be there and I managed that. I have been having intrusive thoughts about past events today and a huge urge to confess, trying not to though. Will speak to my therapist tomorrow and take it from there, hope this is just a little blip, I was a million miles from this state just a couple of weeks ago! How are u doing Hun? Xx

That's great news!  I'm really pleased for you ! that's a wonderful achievement especially considering how your struggling right now, I bet your husband and boys were really happy that you managed to join them. So proud of you flower and you should be too :yes:

Heres hoping after you've spoke to your therapist tomorrow you might feel a little bit better and manage to enjoy a little of your holiday:)

Im sure it is just a little blip and you just need a little help to get you back on track again, so don't worry ?you'll see things will be ok.

Im not doing to bad thanks, still struggling with my new homework but I think it's because I've got a lot of personal issues at the moment which is making it harder for me :(

Take care, hope your feeling better soon 

lost xx

Wonderer,

I’m sorry that you are struggling right now. It’s good that you managed to go out to the park. That's a positive step. 

I also have a fear of fainting and have experienced all of the anxiety symptoms you listed.  My fear of panic attacks, fear of fainting, and health obsessions combine into one huge fear.  I agree that the anxiety and physical symptoms become a vicious circle.  

Do you struggle with agoraphobia too? You mentioned that you struggled to leave your apartment and that hot weather was making things worse.  Struggling with heat is a VERY common problem for agoraphobics.

I hope your therapist had some good advice for you. Take care.

On 18/07/2017 at 23:10, lostinme said:

That's great news!  I'm really pleased for you ! that's a wonderful achievement especially considering how your struggling right now, I bet your husband and boys were really happy that you managed to join them. So proud of you flower and you should be too :yes:

Heres hoping after you've spoke to your therapist tomorrow you might feel a little bit better and manage to enjoy a little of your holiday:)

Im sure it is just a little blip and you just need a little help to get you back on track again, so don't worry ?you'll see things will be ok.

Im not doing to bad thanks, still struggling with my new homework but I think it's because I've got a lot of personal issues at the moment which is making it harder for me :(

Take care, hope your feeling better soon 

lost xx

Awww love, homework is super hard when we have lots of other things going on but u keep at it, ur doing great and you have got this!! Xx

On 19/07/2017 at 18:11, mw321 said:

Wonderer,

I’m sorry that you are struggling right now. It’s good that you managed to go out to the park. That's a positive step. 

I also have a fear of fainting and have experienced all of the anxiety symptoms you listed.  My fear of panic attacks, fear of fainting, and health obsessions combine into one huge fear.  I agree that the anxiety and physical symptoms become a vicious circle.  

Do you struggle with agoraphobia too? You mentioned that you struggled to leave your apartment and that hot weather was making things worse.  Struggling with heat is a VERY common problem for agoraphobics.

I hope your therapist had some good advice for you. Take care.

Hello, thanks for the reply!  Oh it's so horrible isn't it?! I do suspect I have a degree of agoraphobia when I'm bad, but it's more like panic disorder, i get so much worse when I'm outside or in a busy place and I just hate the high levels of anxiety, so yes, I do tend to get into a bad habit of not leaving the house when like this. This is really getting me down, my anxiety levels are so high it's constant and then just gets higher when I go out, I have not done anything other than the beach and park with my partner or kids all week, I feel like a total failure, I'm finding it so difficult to even do simple things around the place, cook, clean etc. My therapist was lovely but didn't say anything I wasn't expecting, I know what I have to do but I am so overwhelmed I am finding it too much to try and face the fear. I have done a complete 180 and thats so upsetting. How are you feeling? Have you been doing ok? Xx

Edited by Wonderer
3 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Awww love, homework is super hard when we have lots of other things going on but u keep at it, ur doing great and you have got this!! Xx

Hello, thanks for the reply!  Oh it's so horrible isn't it?! I do suspect I have a degree of agoraphobia when I'm bad, but it's more like panic disorder, i get so much worse when I'm outside or in a busy place and I just hate the high levels of anxiety, so yes, I do tend to get into a bad habit of not leaving the house when like this. This is really getting me down, my anxiety levels are so high it's constant and then just gets higher when I go out, I have not done anything other than the beach and park with my partner or kids all week, I feel like a total failure, I'm finding it so difficult to even do simple things around the place, cook, clean etc. My therapist was lovely but didn't say anything I wasn't expecting, I know what I have to do but I am so overwhelmed I am finding it too much to try and face the fear. I have done a complete 180 and thats so upsetting. How are you feeling? Have you been doing ok? Xx

Thank you wonderer for your kind words of encouragement and support it means a lot :yes: xx I will keep working at it, I've come this far and I've got no intentions of giving up now, I'm just having a little blip but hopefully i will get back on track soon xx

Bless you wonderer, dont be so hard on yourself and don't feel like a failure because your not just remember how far you've come on your journey and what you've achieved. I know your having a rough time right now but you can turn this back around again using the tools you've learned through therapy, one step at a time, believe in yourself because I know you can do this :) xx