Treatment for teenagers on NHS?

Son has seen GP whos referred him to CAMS?

I hear the waiting list is long. Son is pretty bad at the moment and getting worse. Do they tend to prescribe medication for young people?

Thing are pretty bad at the moment- he seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. What can we do?

Hiya, CAMHS definitely can prescribe medication, with my son we are trying CBT first with the aim according to CAMHS being after 6 sessions they will review him and maybe start meds then if no significant improvements. I wasn't waiting too long on them to be honest but I suppose it depends where abouts u are for waiting times. Xx

Edited by Wonderer
1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Hiya, CAMHS definitely can prescribe medication, with my son we are trying CBT first with the aim according to CAMHS being after 6 sessions they will review him and maybe start meds then if no significant improvements. I wasn't waiting too long on them to be honest but I suppose it depends where abouts u are for waiting times. Xx

South Wales. How long did you wait if you dont mind me asking?

I'm in Ireland and it was 6/8wks waiting for us. There's some books you could get for ur son in the meantime, there's some on this websites shop, the more Info he has the better and hopefully you can make a start with self help in the mean time! Xx