Kicking a girl when she's down

I'm having a bad time with contamination OCD at the moment.  However, have been trying to take baby steps forward. Yesterday I had a nice evening out with friends, came home, had a great night's sleep - feeling quite good. 

This morning was the day to put the bins out to be collected, which I always find makes me quite anxious. Set the alarm early and got up.  Went down to the kitchen and it looked like all hell had broken loose.  The cat had obviously brought in several mice during the night, chased them round the kitchen and then killed them.  I had got the bin bags ready to put out and left them in the kitchen and these were all ripped open and the floor was smeared in mouse blood and covered in mouse droppings. Even worse, when I moved a bag, a live mouse ran out! 

Have cleared it all up now but it was very anxiety-provoking. Have made a cup of tea and am sitting down waiting for my heart rate to return to normal and the dizziness to subside. Working hard to resist the temptation to go and check that everything is, indeed properly clean. 

Why did this have to happen, especially now?  Sometimes it feels like someone is playing a cruel joke on me! 

Not a great start to your day Chelsie, well done for not rechecking. Try to focus on the positives from the last few days, it will help keep you focused.  I hope you can identify that you're making great progress, not always easy to see for ourselves. Stay positive x

Edited by SB21

Hi Chelsie,

it sounds like you've coped with this situation really well.

1 hour ago, Chelsie said:

Why did this have to happen, especially now?

It's just coincidence, these things happen. And hopefully next time it's bin day you can think if you've coped with this then other stuff might not seem such a big task. If that makes sense? 

I have issues with contamination too, it does get easier though. On my part it's been good cbt and practical work too.

wishing you all the best.

Storm x

Thanks for the support.  Not sure I coped that well - didn't have enough cleaning products to cope so phonedmy sister, who brought some for me and helped me clean up, so didn't manage on my own :(

That's still coping in my eyes :) 

when ive had a long day with the little one and then my other half walks in from work and does the bed time routine to help me out, I see that as me coping best I can in my situation.

hope you have a good day x

It looks to me like you coped fine and did well. I think anyone would have got anxious if they had to face that situation. I know I would and I don't even have contamination issues.

Well done on not doing any compulsions such as rechecking etc. too.

Thanks, Lynz - it was disgusting! Not doing too well with being convinced that it's all clean again, although I haven't given in and done any more cleaning. Going to go out soon and think that will help!