OCD Taking on a personality once again

Just when it felt like my OCD might be starting to settle down slightly, i now find my OCD taking on a personality again 

I was reading about The Conjuring film and how it's supposedly based on a true story, Now i am finding it hard to shake off the what if fear, that my OCD Thoughts are actually of someone possessing me as such and something really bad is going to happen to me if i don't do or don't avoid more in my case what the thoughts say to avoid

I really struggle with that as it makes the OCD feel so real

Hi Mark. I don't experience this, but a lot of people personify their OCD, including therapists, with terms such as the 'OCD bully'.  I think it helps people identify a thought as being an OCD thought. When a thought - which I identify as a 'magical thought' - tells me that for example I should buy something or something bad will happen then I don't buy it. I do the opposite of what the thought says. I think you find that nothing bad happens.

54 minutes ago, Angst said:

Hi Mark. I don't experience this, but a lot of people personify their OCD, including therapists, with terms such as the 'OCD bully'.  I think it helps people identify a thought as being an OCD thought. When a thought - which I identify as a 'magical thought' - tells me that for example I should buy something or something bad will happen then I don't buy it. I do the opposite of what the thought says. I think you find that nothing bad happens.

I do understand that and it is something my Therapist will often try to encourage me to try, but to be honest, and it is my main problem to be fair i don't have the balls to do it out right like that

I have checking and hoarding OCD. I remember that during therapy I explained to the therapist why I had to check that the communal doors to my apartment building were locked every night. I did not trust the behaviour of my neighbours. I explained my fear of being murdered in bed. I was surprised that the therapist did not seem to sympathise but nodded and smiled. I had a visceral fear of being murdered.

I do not check the outer doors any longer. It is difficult to deny a compulsion:  and for a period you might experience great fear. I used the tactic of postponing checking for longer and longer periods. It is not easy, but, perhaps,  tackle one thing at a time. This was just one of a number of fears. Simply delaying a response to a thought for a longer and longer period might be a route to leading a less tormented life.

Edited by Angst
  • Ashley changed the title to OCD Taking on a personality once again