Trying to notice thoughts

Hello all! 

I had my 3rd therapy session today and I was asked to detail what thoughts come to mind after an intrusive thought.

Is it strange if I can't work out some of these thoughts after an intrusive thought? 

15 hours ago, HDC said:

Hello all! 

I had my 3rd therapy session today and I was asked to detail what thoughts come to mind after an intrusive thought.

Is it strange if I can't work out some of these thoughts after an intrusive thought? 

Hi HDC

Don't get too bogged down with the ones you can't explain.  Your therapist will hopefully help you to understand this over the coming weeks.  Often once you stop the compulsion linked to it, everything starts to make sense. Its a hard and difficult road to recovery at times but stick with it. Your hard work will eventually pay off. Good luck, hope you find your answers x

Thank you @SB21! I think I spend too much time trying to work out what's going on in my mind, when I should just notice things as they come and focus on reacting to the physical around me! :)

It's easily done. CBT makes you think more closely. I spent hours trying to rationalise thoughts and compulsions. Sometimes you just have to accept they'll make sense eventually or it turns into endless rumination.