False Memories

Hi all,   My first time ever posting on something like this! Had 6 more or less ocd free years before I relapsed in April, which have probably been the toughest months of my life. I suffer from false memory/ rumination OCD, where I mistake an intrusive thought for a memory, normally of me causing harm. I know these memories are false but they worry me as if they were 100% true, the guilt is horrible and unfair! I am currently receiving CBT but it doesn't seem to be helping that much unfortunately! Any advice anyone could offer, I know stop ruminating is the big one but it's just so damned difficult! Probably at my lowest point with the disease right now. Thanks 

Hi thanks for the response!We've talked about letting my thoughts go and not trying to challenge them. I think the problem might be is that I'm too embarrassed to go into specifics of my thoughts and worries as it's so difficult for me to talk about.  I am taking escitalopram 20 mg but it hasn't helped tbh, are you taking anything? 

Edited by James466

How long have you been on the meds?

It sounds like you're off on the right track.

You needn't worry about posting your thoughts here. We've heard it all. And then some. Remember that each one of us is/was an OCD sufferer. We've been there, done that and got the T-shirt.

10 minutes ago, James466 said:

Hi thanks for the response!We've talked about letting my thoughts go and not trying to challenge them. I think the problem might be is that I'm too embarrassed to go into specifics of my thoughts and worries as it's so difficult for me to talk about.  I am taking escitalopram 20 mg but it hasn't helped tbh, are you taking anything? 

20mg is a low dose as far as OCD goes, may be why it's not helping much. Yeah I take clomiprimine. I think all us OCD sufferers can say we've felt the embarrassment of our intrusive thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Actually, I believe 20mg is the maximum dose in the UK.  I'm on 30mg, which is the highest dose in Canada.

You're absolutely right, PolarBear, my mistake! Apologies James and thanks for correcting me PolarBear! I was thinking of something different. Silly me!