Daughter is hoarding

My daughter is 9 and quite anxious and a bit of a worrier. She has started to hoard and it's worrying me... not only because I can't stand clutter but she is starting to show behaviours like her dad who has severe OCD. She won't throw anything away. Broken toys, a broken CD player, clothes that don't fit, a ripped picture.... felt tips that don't work... I asked her to tidy her room and she physically can't do it. She yells, cries has huge screaming tantrums and starts pulling her hair when you suggest disposing of things. Ive tried to reason with her but even though she understands things don't work and that if we keep all the old we can't get new stuff, none of it helps. My partner started his OCD as a child and says hoarding is where it started and he then progressed to intrusive thoughts and counting. Am I reading too much into it? Or should I be worried ? And how do I help her ? 

Hi cbc, 

I too seem to have this OCD pattern in my family. Have you taken your daughter along to see the GP? They may be able to do a referral to CAMHS for you. Amazon also do really good books for kids with OCD. You'll likely find that your daughter will be relieved/amazed when she reads and realises lots of kids have the same worries she does. 

Best wishes

Hi no I haven't taken her yet- only kind of put two and two together this week. I talked to her this morning to see if there was any reason she wanted to keep stuff now she wasn't mid tantrum. I tried to explain that keeping memories is important and keeping empty cardboard boxes and broken CD players isn't. I could see the fear in her as I started to talk so yes I think I will try the gp first. 

My partners grandad had OCD and became housebound and reliant on his wife to do everything for him. He was also addicted to Valium ( not sure OCD was understood fifty years ago!) so I can see that my partner was around him a lot growing up as a child and I think there is a definite biological link as well as an exposure link. 

Hello again, 

Yeah the GP is a good starting point. I really do understand how you feel as my eldest has the same struggles as your daughter. I know it probably doesn't feel like it right now but it can get better! I suspect other family members of mine suffer OCD too. I myself was diagnosed at 15. Yeah OCD definitely wasn't understood 50 years ago and even today there are still many misconceptions. Hopefully you'll find this forum useful and supportive. Are you based in the UK?