Just been diagnosed by nhs, but.......

I have just been diagnosed by an nhs Principal Psychologist as having moderate to severe ocd(it's severe!!!!!) I was open about my 2 themes, despite being worried about the risk assessment element. 

Anyway, I self referred and had an initial assessment over the phone with a psychiatric nurse way back in March when my ocd returned with a vengeance. I was barely able to take that call as I am currently so debilitated by my ocd. I neglected to tell the nurse on the phone that I had ocd, and he neglected to ask, so I was referred to the Primary Mental Health Team, which I was told today could only offer me 6 sessions, which the psychologist said would be insufficient, considering the severity of my ocd. Today, the psychologist told me that I should have been referred to the Community Mental Health Team, so she will have to write to them and it will take a few weeks. I neglected to ask her if that will involve me being placed on another waiting list. In the interim, I am being offered NO sessions.

The psychologist also told me today that she can't guarantee that the Community Mental Health Team will take my case on, and if not, she will have to review my situation.

I had waited 5 months for today's appointment, during which time I have been unable to function due to the horrors of my mind.

I feel badly let down by the nhs.

However, at this moment(reassurance, I know), I do feel slightly better, as I now have an official diagnosis, but like any form of reassurance, I wonder how long the feeling slightly better will last, considering how reassurance is usually short-lived.

Edited by bwelagain

Hi there I am in a similar position but by a different route. And I need to push for details of promised therapy. In my area we used to have an organisation which used to provide advocacy but unfortunately it no longer exists. I am planning to start pushing after the Bank Holiday.

Your CMHT has a responsibility to offer you treatment. I know it can be hard but you have to be assertive and (like I've done recently) perhaps write a letter to the team manager outlining your concerns in a polite but firm way.

I know how frustrating it can be waiting for appointments especially when in a highly emotional and distressed state but try and remember the "horrors of your mind" have nothing to do with you as a person or intent. It's part of a very cruel condition which can be managed with appropriate treatment.

Edited by PhilM

Look on this as a positive thing. You have your diagnosis. You're not nuts. There really is OCD going on. It might take some time to set therapy up but now you have a clear goal... to beat something called OCD.

Thanks for your replies.

Angst, it looks like we will have to fight our own corners,.if we are indeed to access the appropriate treatment we readily deserve.

PhilM, thanks for making me more aware of my rights as the psychologist I saw yesterday made no mention of the CMHT having any sort of responsibility to treat me. I will indeed write a letter to the team manager "outlining your concerns in a polite but firm way". I have finally(from God only knows where) summoned up the courage to fight for my recovery and yes, we have a right to be offered the necessary help from the nhs.

Taffy, I hope you manage to access appropriate treatment also. People with mental health difficulties are very often in no fit state to fight bureaucracy. We should be offered the help we need and deserve without having to wrestle it out of the nhs.

PolarBear, I am now looking on today as a positive. Being officially diagnosed has had a huge positive effect on my mindset today. And thank you so much for saying "You're not nuts". That actually brought a smile to my face. I have my clear goal now to beat ocd and I finally believe I can do whatever it takes to achieve recovery.