Hi all, 

I am almost a year into a severe relapse that saw me hospitalised for months. The worries/concerns that I had then I can now quite clearly realise and accept as having been OCD and dismiss as such, despite my willingness to take my own life over them at the time. I recall thinking at the time if I could just get an answer/clarity I could have my life back. Going by that theory, I should now 'have my life back' but instead I am worried about other things, worry that they aren't OCD and get so low about them that I think about suicide. Anyone else experienced anything similar? 

Hi Skullpops,

What you're describing is common. OCD that is not properly addressed in therapy will simply morph into worrying about something else. 

This highlights the danger of learning to cope by dismissing thoughts as 'it's just OCD'. Labelling a thought as OCD is only a first step.

We need to also learn where our thinking has gone astray to make us believe the thought in the first place. 

Are you currently receiving any CBT? 

Like OCD, depression benefits more from CBT than simply talking/counselling.

Consider raising the possibility of CBT with your psychologist. If he/she isn't qualified to give you CBT you may need to discuss being referred on elsewhere to someone who can.

CBT is the combination of Cognitive therapy and Behavioral Therapy. Cognitive therapy teaches you to look at the thoughts differently. Behavioral Therapy teaches you to behave differently. CBT is the only recognized therapy for OCD.