Transdiagnostic CBT

I believe transdiagnostic CBT is when other diagnosed conditions like depression or OCPD or even physical diagnoses are included in the formulation of the problem. So for example, depression may cause more negative automatic thoughts leading to a reduction in self-confidence, making it more difficult to challenge OCD which in turn could cause more negative automatic thoughts. Basically it's a slightly more complex vicious flower.

The problems are dealt with based on how they interact and complicate the problem. Understanding this interaction helps the sufferer to know how best to tackle it.

I don't have any experience of this though Angst, what I know is just from what I've read.

5 hours ago, Gemma7 said:

I believe transdiagnostic CBT is when other diagnosed conditions like depression or OCPD or even physical diagnoses are included in the formulation of the problem. So for example, depression may cause more negative automatic thoughts leading to a reduction in self-confidence, making it more difficult to challenge OCD which in turn could cause more negative automatic thoughts. Basically it's a slightly more complex vicious flower.

The problems are dealt with based on how they interact and complicate the problem. Understanding this interaction helps the sufferer to know how best to tackle it.

Beautifully explained by Gemma. :yes:  

I case anybody is wondering what 'the vicious flower' means you can read more and see the diagram here .

Forgive me if this sounds a bit daft? 

I understand what is being said above regarding transdiagnostic cbt, however I'm a little confused I thought everyone with OCD had depression too? 

Is that wrong? 

No, it's not automatic to have one when you have the other. But it is quite common.

Of those that do have both, there are cases where the OCD and depression are two distinct problems and then there are cases where the depression is secondary to the OCD.

1 minute ago, PolarBear said:

No, it's not automatic to have one when you have the other. But it is quite common.

Of those that do have both, there are cases where the OCD and depression are two distinct problems and then there are cases where the depression is secondary to the OCD.

Oh I see PolarBear, I think I just assumed everyone with OCD suffered depression also. 

So is right assuming what youve just explained that OCD and depression can be two separate things not related and secondary depression is more caused by the OCD itself. Is that correct? 

Thanks 

lost 

I get secondary depression, in that the depression is brought on by the OCD, and vanishes again when the OCD dissipates. 

I think this may be quite common in those otherwise in a happy and healthy mental state. 

When my OCD gets really bad, it triggers a major depressive episode that can last for months.  My last crisis episode occurred at the end of June and it took until the end of August to start feeling better after increasing the meds.

Edited by mikos

I am interested in tCBT as I had the name of the psychotherapist who I will be seeing for a home visit later in the month and did a quick search for her approach on the CMHT's  site on and it mentioned tCBT. I have checking OCD, hoarding and depression as conditions. (Hoarding can be OCD hoarding or can be its own separate condition according to DMS 5 - not sure which category I fall into - if you accept the distinction that is).

Last time I had therapy, the three aspects were treated differently with most time spent of checking OCD, then hoarding and then depression. There were separate questionnaires and treatment approaches for the three conditions. There were links between the three conditions but these were not systematically explored.

Stopped my research now. I was reading papers about it for the past few days. But will wait to see what happens.

When I last had therapy - one home visit was calculated as two office visits in terms of the budget. Travelling time was included in the time allowance. Does anybody know if this is standard practice in the NHS?