Fantastic Stories - Just What Is Needed

Taking a look at our threads, it's so encouraging to see people finding out what they need to be doing ; plucking up the necessary courage ; and actually doing it :fool:

We will never get better from this disorder unless we learn why we think and feel the way we do, find out what we must do to change things around, and start to do it. 

What we need to do is believe what we are being told, as against believing what the OCD is telling us: those that do this improve, those that don't stay stuck. 

So let's keep hearing those fantastic stories of how sufferers are listening, learning and making changes. 

Getting better from OCD is all about doing, not procrastinating. Getting up and getting busy, not labelling ourselves sick and going to bed. 

A call to arms?  :horse:Maybe, if you are not fighting back, beginning to peel off the layers of restrictions the OCD has deposited on your OCD "onion". Only we can make these changes, only we can make ourselves better. The best therapist in the world is rendered useless if his patient refuses to listen, refuses to take the necessary action.

Scary? Of course it is. But we aren't walking that frightening path alone - here we all support each other, and shine a beacon of light to illuminate the path that must be walked. 

1 minute ago, taurean said:

Scary? Of course it is. But we aren't walking that frightening path alone - here we all support each other, and shine a beacon of light to illuminate the path that must be walked. 

I've only just plucked up the courage to stand up to my ocd as of about 3 weeks ago. I am making really good progress, which amazes me as I didn't think I could do it.

I accredit much of my progress to the experienced members here, who didn't offer me reassurance, but instead told me what I needed to do to get better, even if what they said wasn't what I wanted to hear at the time.

This forum is helping me immensely.

This forum has been fantastic for me. It's the perfect mix of tough love and compassion. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - when you stand up to your OCD, it works. I went two months being really tough with it but recently had a set back. During those two months practicing exposure and response prevention, the thoughts started to fade. Gotta get back on the horse!

This time last year I was in a mess, about to be diagnosed and my OCD was impacting on my life and had been going back years.

12 months on I am in such a different place. CBT has changed my life - I understand my core belief and challenge it daily and eh day is easier and easier. I am not 100% better but I will be .

CBT has been hard work and difficult but so worth it. 

Paulie, I am happy to hear that cbt and your own hard effort has transformed your life.

I am yet to start cbt, but have also been very ill due to a major relapse. I have never had cbt in the past and have just been diagnosed.

Your post inspires me as I too am determined to reclaim my life from ocd.

I hope that you continue to go from strength to strength.