Thoughts for Online CBT???

I have been contacted by my local healthy minds after my GP tried to have my referal hurried up (I have a 12 month wait). Basically they are not able to do this but instead offered me the option of online CBT which would allow me access to therapy quicker. However I refused this as I personally believe that one to one CBT is the most beneficial treatment option. I Just wondered then, what are people's thoughts and experiences with this method? Many thanks Lisa 

Good for you Lisa.

OCD is a very complex and individual condition. No online CBT programme can account for the individual complexities of our OCD, so is unlikley to do anything more than give you a little insight. But you can get that by reading a good OCD self-help book anyway.  The OCTET research suggested no benefits to computer CBT whilst waiting for main CBT too!

If they offered the online CBT whilst you wait, then that is fine. But to offer instead of 'real' CBT is scandalous.

Thanks Ashley. This was my thoughts exactly. Along with my own personal experience's of OCD I also have academic knowledge and consequently realise that this is the case (according to the data.I have come across). It's was being offered in place of one to one, I guess as a way of getting through the waiting list quicker. It's a shame that we are being fobbed off with such services that will not be beneficial to us. I'm glad I had insight and refused. 

I think that's a good description for it HDC, it may be helpful (like a good self-help book) but helpful at best, I really don't think it can be effective treatment. 

That said, I think where it may have far more potential, is a relapse prevention tool.  I think post therapy, after someone's been given the skills, knowledge and tools to tackle OCD, it could then be a great generic resource for the patient to keep referring back to as they become their own therapist.